• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with front struts problem

frached

Hello all, had someone put our front struts together after they were reconditioned and now have an issue. When going over bumps the shaft shoots up too high and if the hood was installed it would hit the hood. I believe I've narrowed it down to missing the spacer and two washers (numbers 2 3 and 4 in the attached pic). Does anybody have any good diagram or source for the parts? 

2002 strut.png

May need more than one pc 1 washer, especially if the fender mount is stretching. The spring cap will rub on the fender mount stud bottoms if the mount is stretching and gouge the spring cap.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

You might want to go to the shop that did it and politely ask them WTF how many cars do you send out with extra parts in the tray?

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Still don't know how missing a washer, or two or three, would make the shock shaft go through the hood!?

Sure there can be some movement that shouldn't be there but the thicker part of the shaft should not fit through the upper mount bearing which is integral part of ruber/metal top mount. -> Check the condition of top mounts.

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

+1 to what tommy says.
Shich dampers and strut bearings do you have?

Only washer #1 would have an influence and that is sooo thin it wouldn't make a difference.

If you use e.g. spax dampers - they are known for the problem as they are longer above the step due to the adjuster.
Als show a pic of your strut bearings with the car on the ground taken from the side. A worn strut bearing may have 5 mm flex in the rubber

Edited by uai