• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Touring rear latch -

Tbone1209

Hi folks - my new Touring is in amazing condition but one of the things that has me scratching my head is the rear latch. The 

Rear light switch within the latch is missing. 

Is this a part seperate from the overall latch or is it part and parcel of the entire latch piece? 

I can't seem to find the latch schematic anywhere so not sure. 

Any help would be appreciated! 20220711_171524.thumb.jpg.5b3a2ad98a77ce643955fd8c6aac3cf4.jpg20220711_171529.thumb.jpg.11864253478c0058dd1fb7d6e3e205d4.jpg

Per the factory parts book, the "lock lower part" assembly, P/N 51 24 826 958 (pg 41-30) is shown as a single part.  In checking through section 61/2--body electrical, there's no separate switch for the hatch shown.  Logically it would be shown on the same page as the door switches for the dome light (pg 61-13) but it's not there. 

However, look on pg 61-15 at P/N 61 311 354 228--it's shown as a "switch" and only used on Tourings.  Perhaps that's what you seek, but I can't be sure as it's not pictured in its position on the car.

mike

PS-you can look these pages up on realoem.com

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A further look at the first picture shows what looks like a hole in the flange that supports the lower latch, with a stray wire directly below that. 

Looking at the drawing of the switch shown in the parts book, pg 61-15, P/N 61 311 354 228 it looks as if that switch would fit vertically into the hole.  

Perhaps a Touring owner on the FAQ can post a picture of that area on his/her car to help clear up the mystery.

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As Mike said, it is part # 61 31 1 354 228      looooong NLA.

Would suggest contacting one (or all) of the German Seller's (actually, any of the European Sellers) who regularly post in the 'For Sale' section to see if they have one, or can find one.

You may have to get the complete latch, as the switch can be destroyed trying to get it out (like the one I beggared pictured below).

633149903_TrgLatch1.jpeg.a065bb2af401d173453d9ec56c4981f9.jpeg

23337093_TrgLatch2.jpeg.0a624cd2efe6d1e5e621738c5be9f86a.jpeg

Edited by 02Les
added text
  • Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

6 hours ago, 02Les said:

Would suggest contacting one (or all) of the German Seller's (actually, any of the European Sellers) who regularly post in the 'For Sale' section to see if they have one, or can find one.

Nice to see one in the flesh. I was wondering about that small recess in the top of the latch. Definitely a long shot on finding  one but it's not the end of the world if it takes a while.

Good idea- I'll create a WTB ad. Can't hurt. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

From 02 Les's picture of his less-than-pristine one, the switch looks suspiciously like a door/dome light switch with a different base.  Just for fun you might temporarily remove one of your door switches just to see if it'll fit the space in the hatch latch, either as is or with a little modification.  

mike

16 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

From 02 Les's picture of his less-than-pristine one, the switch looks suspiciously like a door/dome light switch with a different base.  Just for fun you might temporarily remove one of your door switches just to see if it'll fit the space in the hatch latch, either as is or with a little modification.  

mike

Thanks, I'll take a look. I think I might have a loose one from an e9 laying around. 

Here’s what it looks like. Pushes through the top and then the two clips hold it in. Sorry, I don’t have the part number but I remember getting a used one from W&N about 7 years ago.

8D85B6DF-2F85-4074-8E70-BE92D61B7891.jpeg

• Like 1

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing.