• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'02 Oil Pump in E21 Block - Q on main bearing cap

jaredmac11

I am putting in an m10b18 out of an e21.  The block looks very fresh and should be a good donor.  However, the 02 oil pump pickup is longer than the e21 pickup and uses a mount to attach to the main bearing cap #3 in the 02 block.

My assumption is I cannot just swap over the main bearing caps from my 02 block to this one, right?  Would it be OK to forego this mount? Or can I swap over the caps from one block to the other to anchor down the pick up?

Ive done a few google searches and didnt see this topic yet, but I imagine its been discussed.. apologies for a revisited topic.

14 minutes ago, Hans said:

Will e21 pickup fit 02 pump?

For me, My 02 pump is trash, the e21 pump is very new so Im going for that.  But in this general scenario, the E21 pickup is suited for the E21 oil pan.  The e21 pan wont fit the 02 well, thus the pickup isnt an ideal scenario.  I wish it was because I would be done and done.

Heres a side by side.Oil Pump – M10 (E21/E30 M3) – Ireland Engineering | Racing & Performance  Parts for BMW & MINI

Edited by jaredmac11

As Hans said the use the 2002 pick up and your old main caps there's a saddle on top of the middle main cap and it can be switched onto the e21 engine as long as you use the longer cap bolts from the 02.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

As Hans said the use the 2002 pick up and your old main caps there's a saddle on top of the middle main cap and it can be switched onto the e21 engine as long as you use the longer cap bolts from the 02.

This is what I was looking for but I need a bit more clarity.  I think were on the same page. 

What I wasnt clear on was I thought you couldnt just swap over caps from one block to another.  I thought all pieces wore out together and moving over a component (even a bearing cap) from one block to another was a bad idea.  Is that not the case and I can just move over the one (or all?) bearing cap without issue? I guess Im not familiar with what line boring is, I just take this as being machined? I am really not interested in taking the block to get machined for this and would sooner just try without the mount.

Just for reference, this is the cap I would take from my 02 block and transplant to my e21 block.
20200505_113400.jpg.00bdfeb08a182fb6a10d012c9d58df58.jpg

Edited by jaredmac11

The confusion is the term “cap”. The main bearing caps stay with the block. The mount for the early pump pickup stays with that style pickup. The e21 pickup goes in the trash. The 02 style pickup goes on the e21 pump if it’s in better shape, and mounts to the #3 bearing cap after you install that mount. So install the mount with the longer bolts, torque it, install the new pump/old pickup, drive like ya stole it. 

• Like 1

Line boring is when you take the engine apart, crank out and put the caps in.  Then they take a long hone and make sure that all the caps are the right size and are in line. 

This ia a big deal.

Take a look around and see if you can build a bracket of an existing mounting point.   IMHO resonance will eventually shake something loose or cause fatigue, then boom. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

31 minutes ago, Furry Camel said:

The confusion is the term “cap”. The main bearing caps stay with the block.

The "cap" pictured is actually the oil pickup mounting bracket that sits on top of the main bearing cap.  If my understanding is correct, you can take the pickup off the M10 oil pump and mount it on the E21 Oil pump.  Remove the 2 bolts from the #3 main bearing cap on the m10b18 motor and install the oil pickup bracket (as pictured above) with the longer M10 bolts.  Because you aren't swapping the #3 main bearing cap, there are no line bore issues to worry about.

The E21 and S14 Oil pumps have such short pickups, they don't need/have mounting brackets like the M10.  The longer M10 pickups are prone to cracking from vibration if not supported.

Mark92131

pic- 076.jpg

Edited by Mark92131
Clarification
  • Like 3

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Yes, to put it briefly you just need to move the saddle and bolts from the old 02 mill and your new engine no need to play mix and match with bearing caps.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

6 hours ago, Hans said:

I'm not clear on your target

I’m still unclear on the target... what’s the goal here.?

Get a better oil pump for your  engine?  Use the block as a “donor”for a 2L build?  We could help better if we knew what the plan was, so what exactly are you doing?

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Yes, all clear.  Should have cracked it open first place.  The saddle/mount very clearly is not the actual bearing cap but is an additional piece that sits on top of the cap.  So the bearing, crank, and cap all would be original to the block.  The saddle would just sit on top and is in no way a component of the actual moving parts.  Just sits on top.  I just need to make sure its torqued down correctly and should be set.  Sorry for all the hub-bub.  I made this more complicated than it is.

And in case others are in this ship in the future and to clear any confusion,

All Im doing is taking an engine out of an E21 and making it work for my 02.  So I needed a way to use the appropriate 02 pump work for my car.

Edited by jaredmac11