• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is a 2002 in there!

jimk

dangit... you beat me to the punch!

What a ton of fun this must be.  Great pictures, and look at all those beautiful cars and trucks!  This is something I need to add to my bucket list.

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

another pic of the Roundie

Very cool with the Borranis and Talbot fender mirrors ?

220620_GR_2266.jpg

220618_GR_1200.jpg

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1

Oh my... Aston Martin.  is that a DB5 ?

220620_GR_2402.jpg

oh yes... DB5

220619_GR_1532.jpg

Wonder if it has the machine guns and ejector seat? :)

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Day 6 Wisconsin

Check the final drive on the yellow car.  Are those Hellas? ?

220623_GR_3842.jpg

220623_GR_3910.jpg

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

7 minutes ago, jimk said:

Check the final drive on the yellow car. 

Dammmm... chain and sprocket.  What troopers these teams must be to endure a long race in a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car like that.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:30 PM, zinz said:

dangit... you beat me to the punch!

What a ton of fun this must be.  Great pictures, and look at all those beautiful cars and trucks!  This is something I need to add to my bucket list.

Ed Z

Ive thought about this one as well.  The entry fee is a little on the high side for what it is though, and it fills up fast.  I've got a couple of buddies who've done it.  Apparently you "win" by getting as close to a specified time as possible (translation: if you speed you're disqualified). Before you guys smash me, I'm not condoning speeding on public roads.  I'm  just pointing out how it works.  Apparently, there are a lot of high dollar entries/eye candy if you're seriously into cars.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tdh said:

Apparently, there are a lot of high dollar entries/eye candy if you're seriously into cars.   

It's interesting to see those cars on a drive that has to be a thousand miles in the rain and dusty roads as the photos show.  Wonder how many had troubles.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Looks like a great route! 

I am not surprised by the high-dollar entry fee; I'm sure there are plenty of mechanical issues, but such a fee surely covers the cost of support trucks and mechanics. Too rich for my blood, though.

A "bucket list" item for me would be the Peking to Paris rally, but the cost of the entry fee is eye-watering, let alone the cost and logistics of shipping a car out there . . . . 

This sounds more doable:

WWW.THEADVENTURISTS.COM

Europe to Mongolia in 1 litre cars and tiny motorbikes. 10,000 miles of old school adventure - this is the world's greatest roadtrip.

My girlfriend and I have done lots of vintage car rallies in our various old cars, and it is a lot of fun (we are spoiled for choice with such events in California). I did Targa Baja California in my 2002tii in 2015, which was amazing. Our most extreme trip was for a Lemons Rally in 2019, we did 8,000 miles in 15 days in our Jensen-Healey roadster, which has no convertible top (CA to Maine and back, via Ontario, Canada on the way out), and a close-ratio Getrag 235/5 gearbox, so the engine was screaming at 4500 RPM most of the time :). No real issues besides some rear brake adjustments and a timing belt replacement during the return leg.

The point being, long-distance vintage car rallies do not have to be high-dollar events, one just needs to find a group of like-minded enthusiasts and make it happen!

Edited by cda951
  • Like 1

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

This would be prefect for Mike Self and his bugeye sprite, it's under 1 liter and has the timing adjustment wheel to compensate for the quality Mongol gas, Mike just imagine 10,000 miles of comfortable driving like crossing the Mongol desert with that exhaust pipe under your feet. Just kidding from a former bugeye owner?. Bugeyes have many things to love but long distance driving is not one of them.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Was at Gilmore Car Museum this afternoon and seen a Volvo on a trailer that must of been entered.

Had all the decals and looked like it has done several races.

Ford pick up had the door decal that stated "Support".

What a great adventure.

Of course I forgot to take a picture.