• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Rebuild Block questions - Cylinder Inserts?

roman.lysiak

Hello fellow Faq-ers,

I'm in the midst of a 72tii engine tear down to replace my worn 73tii version. Its a bummer that the block numbers won't match the chassis anymore, but having a spare tii engine allows me to have a reduced downtime, when swapping the old one out. Presently I've stripped everything apart and have taken the block, pistons, crank, to the machinist to assess what is to spec and what needs machining. Cylinder 2 was seized so the rust and scoring on this cylinder are forcing me to get new pistons 90mm. Looking to purchase the Mahle ones from IE.

My question is, did these blocks use cylinder inserts which could be replaced and bored so that I could possibly reuse the old pistons and save spending the $800USD on a new set?

Thanks

Roman

No sleeves in the original blocks. If you want to use the old pistons, first make sure they are in good shape and correct specs. Then, they can bore the block and insert sleeves to the size of your old pistons. You might find the difference in cost is not as much as you think.

• Like 3

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

As Karl said be sure to have your pistons checked especially around the ring lands to be sure they will work, many, if not most high mileage m10 pistons fail this test. 

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Got it. Ya, it was a question of cost, but I need to check the condition of the cylinders and the ring land condition to see if its even worth going that route. Will see if I can post some pics soon. And thank you for the link to the search. I tried searching " cylinder inserts" and nothing came up. Not sure why.

Roman

8 minutes ago, roman.lysiak said:

… I tried searching " cylinder inserts" and nothing came up. Not sure why…

Roman,

The term used with most engines, such as the BMW M10, is sleeving, as Ensign and bergie33 referred to above. The “inserts” are “sleeves”, and the original block is drilled out and a sleeve fitted.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Roman,

I couldn’t quite tell which engine — ‘72 or ‘73 — has the cylinder 2 issue. It sounds like you own a 1973 tii and are transplanting a 1972 tii engine into it. Is that correct? If so, are you giving up on the original numbers-matching engine (a.) because it has serious issues, or (b.) simply to reduce the car’s downtime — I’m guessing the car must be a daily driver?

If you read the recent thread, linked above by @Ensign, you may decide you don’t need to bore all four cylinders to 90 mm.; you could sleeve one cylinder instead. Or you could sleeve all four and return to standard bore, first oversize, second oversize, etc. — based on what pistons you find. Of course, returning all four cylinders to standard size does not guarantee you can re-use original standard-size pistons. As @Son of Marty says above, being able to re-use original standard size pistons is a reach on most 50-year-old M10 engines.

If you were not dealing with round taillight tii’s, a matching number engine would probably be far less critical. But you appear to be restoring or maintaining a round taillight tii.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

13 hours ago, roman.lysiak said:

Cylinder 2 was seized so the rust and scoring on this cylinder are forcing me to get new pistons 90mm.

Pits from rusting run deep in cast iron.  Boring often won't get to sound cylinder material.

13 hours ago, roman.lysiak said:

My question is, did these blocks use cylinder inserts which could be replaced and bored so that I could possibly reuse the old pistons

Boring to fit a sleeve can distort the two adjoining cylinders such that those other two will need to go oversize, the original pistons then can't be reused.

Try to bore first cyl 2 to see if the pits are removed cleanly without a sleeve.  Do not bore the other 3 yet until the decision on course of action to cyl 2 is made.  Boring to set a sleeve should be done before any adjacent cylinders are worked because they can be distorted after the cyl 2 sleeve is set.  Then bore/finish all 4 cyclinders to the pistons you select.

Been there.

Just a reminder, the other post with pics show a 121 head, so bathtub pistons will be needed.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.