• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s always something

Jdddrigot

100% agree. Over time my trunk storage box was chock full of repair items "just in case". I was on the road a lot and didn't want to be left stranded over something easy to fix. 

Of course that meant it rarely broke down. But I do remember when the points gave out and I dropped the screw into the dirt when swapping in the new one. I was glad I had an entire distributor to scavenge - back on the road in no time.

Good times.

Jason

• Thanks 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I have a box of spare parts in the trunk, it includes: cap & rotor, points, spark plugs and wires, belt, light bulbs, fuses, voltage regulator, fuel filter and some small bolts and screws.

I figure if I can't fix it with all that stuff it's time to call AAA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

I dropped the screw into the dirt when swapping in the new one.

Add a magnet to your box to fetch that screw.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, irdave said:

Oh shit!  Was that your car on the flatbed on Harmony?!

And I've got a bunch of those parts, whatever they are, if you want them.  :)

Yup. I saw you too and now know what your car looks like. Pertronix going in this weekend and then I’m hoping all is good (for awhile). 

• Haha 1

Being an old Air Force logistics guy, I adapted a program we use for deploying AF flying units.  When they deploy, they do so with sufficient spare parts to operate without resupply for 30 days of flying.  The parts they take are carefully selected, both for type and quantity, based on many years of experience with consumption, failure rates etc.  These kits used to be called WRSK (War Reserve Spares Kits). 

I call the small plastic tool box in my trunk my TRSK (Trip Reserve Spares Kit).  In it I have a selection of parts, the lack of which can strand me on the road--or prevent a very necessary system (lights, wipers etc) from working, and that I have the tools and knowledge to replace on said roadside.  Again, that's been gathered over some decades and miles driving 2002s.  It's amazing what you can stash in a 6x6x12 inch box if you pack carefully.  

I did a column about this long ago (1995); if you want a copy, PM me...

mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite