• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another S14 swap on BAT

Tdh

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Looks like another S14 on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/bmw-s14-engine-with-modified-getrag245/

This time being listed by Terry Sayther, whom seems like he has a good rep on the boards. My only question is Im curious to other's thoughts on the big weld on the trans. Here is his explanation: 

"The transmission belhousing must have provision for the crankshaft sensors. The way I make that happen is to cut out that portion of the s14 bellhousing and transfer it to the similar but not identical bellhousing of the 245 trans. The modification part is bolted to a block along with the trans to provide proper alignment and the two are welded together."

I feel like I haven't seen it done this way on most of the other S14 swaps on here, or did I just miss that? I thought the 245 was a straight bolt up. 

57 minutes ago, M3This said:

Hi Guys,

Looks like another S14 on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/bmw-s14-engine-with-modified-getrag245/

This time being listed by Terry Sayther, whom seems like he has a good rep on the boards. My only question is Im curious to other's thoughts on the big weld on the trans. Here is his explanation: 

"The transmission belhousing must have provision for the crankshaft sensors. The way I make that happen is to cut out that portion of the s14 bellhousing and transfer it to the similar but not identical bellhousing of the 245 trans. The modification part is bolted to a block along with the trans to provide proper alignment and the two are welded together."

I feel like I haven't seen it done this way on most of the other S14 swaps on here, or did I just miss that? I thought the 245 was a straight bolt up.

That is the normal way to run a 245 with an S14.  Ecu must have those sensors in the right place for the engine to run.   Aardvark, Ben T, Terry S are some of the few folks who have a jig and know how to do this.

A 245 is not a "bolt on" to an S14.

• Like 1

2xM3

15 minutes ago, M2M3 said:

That is the normal way to run a 245 with an S14.  Ecu must have those sensors in the right place for the engine to run.   Aardvark, Ben T, Terry S are some of the few folks who have a jig and know how to do this.

Is it that the 245 is not a bolt on to the s14, or is it that the Motronic is not a bolt on to the 2002/245?

Edited by irdave

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

If considering putting an S14 in a 2002..

A/ buy the swap manual from aardvark racing.

B/ spend time reading the swap threads in the projects sub forum.  Two of the longest, most detailed, project threads are the s14 swap cars of Steve Peterson and myself.

The swap is not trivial if done right.

• Like 5

2xM3

28 minutes ago, M3This said:

Anyone have experience with Terry's rebuilds? As it looks like he rebuilt the engine as well. 

Terry owns and runs a BMW Shop here in Austin since 1978. He “retired” five years ago... but still rebuilds engines because he enjoys that work. This S14 is the 68th rebuild he’s done just in the last five years. He knows a thing or two...

Ed Z

• Like 5

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

2 hours ago, M2M3 said:

If considering putting an S14 in a 2002..

A/ buy the swap manual from aardvark racing.

B/ spend time reading the swap threads in the projects sub forum.  Two of the longest, most detailed, project threads are the s14 swap cars of Steve Peterson and myself.

The swap is not trivial if done right.

i have the Aardvak manual already and read through it briefly. I’ll check the threads as well. 

1 hour ago, zinz said:

Terry owns and runs a BMW Shop here in Austin since 1978. He “retired” five years ago... but still rebuilds engines because he enjoys that work. This S14 is the 68th rebuild he’s done just in the last five years. He knows a thing or two...

Ed Z

Thanks for the feedback. I just didn’t know if he was a “engine builder” as I saw a lot of people say that with S14 to make sure whomever is building it knows what they are doing. I know there are shops that work on cars and then there are guys that really know their stuff when getting into the internals. 

15 hours ago, M2M3 said:

Not always, only if the 30 year old Motronic is used.  My 245 is a bolt on and when I installed the S14, the flywheel, transmission and driveline from the M10 was used unchanged.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:53 AM, Tdh said:

Someone else can worry about its value after I'm dead!

For Sure!

I always think of my 2002 value like my house value, I’m not selling so I’m not that concerned.

S14 build would be amazing but I think in today’s market pricing I couldn’t imagine building one for myself, realistically it could be a $50k swap with a motor refresh.

EDE4AC7E-C7EB-4E59-9F66-76DEB96C9393.jpeg

• Like 3

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

17 hours ago, M3This said:

. I know there are shops that work on cars and then there are guys that really know their stuff when getting into the internals. 

Having dealt with hundreds of shops in a tech-support role, I've gotten a good feel of who knows their crap.

Terry is one of my top ten in the OG category. 

• Like 6