• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this? And can I remove it?

Go to solution Solved by Son of Marty,

Engine bay of my '74 has, sitting between the starter and steering box, this I-don't-know-what:

temp engine bay.jpg

Looks like some kind of an engine mount, but not attached to engine.  Thought it might a be leftover anti-smog something, but have found nothing in RealOEM. 

Thanks for help. 

Greg S. - 

Does someone have a part number? Is it shown in any RealOEM diagrams? 

I don't see how it can be an engine mount if it is not attached to the engine; nor could it prevent the engine from moving toward the radiator, since it is located on the side and would not stop any movement forward or backwards.

Flux capacitor seems most likely, but this daily driver hasn't seen 88 mph in many years, so no way to test it. 

• Solution

It's the left side engine mount if it's not connected to the engine then your missing part 13 in the drawing above. Disregaurd the round mount in the picture it's the old style the new style looks like this which bares a close resemblance to the part in your picture..

11-81-1-109-351-BOE.jpg

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Fer realz???

yeah, what you don't have there is the plate that connects the mount to the block...

t

Does it accelerate with alacrity?  Does your hood bulge get bigger when you stomp it?

Want a real thrill?  open the hood, put it in first, hold the brake with your big toe, gas it with your

little toe, and let the clutch out.  Slowly.

• Haha 4

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You need this bracket and attendant bolts and attachment nut/washers for fastening the mount to bracket. The drawing shows a round mount but you have the correct rectangular one. items 3/ 4/ 12 /13

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2214-USA-12-1974-114-BMW-2002&diagId=11_2414

Edited by Mikesmalaga72
correction

Thank you Son of Marty (and TobyB).  That is clearly the mystery  part and explains why I couldn't find it in the diagrams.

I suspect that if I get under it tomorrow I'll find the supporting plate is there, just out of sight from above.  At least I hope that's the case.

Much appreciated.

Greg S. - 

• Haha 1

Greg your kinda new here and this is in no way a criticism , but I've been on this board since day one and read virtually everything here, and I have never seen a member purposely mislead anyone, there have been a few answers that were wrong but soon set right, everyone is here to help each other NO B.S. So carry on and ask away, soon you'll be providing answers to these little cars, WELCOME aboard.

• Like 7

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944