• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 turbo help

Haxxdags

1 hour ago, wkohler said:

The likelihood of finding any 2002 with original paint is pretty low these days.  The bigger concern to me is what would be under the black paint.  If it's not rotten, restoration is going to be an easier time.  The tube can be removed and if done right, it's a non-issue since it won't get brought up.  There are some parts on the car that if they're there, the question is whether or not they're actually good. The exhaust manifold might be there, but it could have 30 cracks in it. Same for the turbo.  I think these days, a documented completely original survivor car in excellent condition not needing a restoration would set the market, but how many of those actually exist?  Also, hard to say what the values actually are since every car is actually different, cars are restored differently and some cars that have incorrect details and parts (often seats) do really well and others don't.  I wouldn't get caught up in the current value of the cars and using that to make a purchasing decision.  Once you see what some of the parts cost (if you can even find them), they're not for the faint of heart compared to some similarly valued cars.  You'd have to want the experience this car provides.  In the realm of many classic cars, I'm sure they're still relatively affordable, but compared to most contemporary BMWs, not so much. 

I guess the key is that if the asking price is in your budget, is making the car at the very least a runner also in your budget?

Well said

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

If that is an original exhaust manifold it has been modified with a "waste gate" so I'm guessing that is just one part you are going to need to find if you are going to "restore" the car.  I also wonder if that is even the original engine (engine number should match VIN) that is not a correct valve cover so I wonder about everything under it as well.  If a previous owner was playing with waste gates and modified boost plumbing they may have blown up the original engine and just put a standard M10 with all of the Injection and turbo parts bolted on.  All of these questions are part of deciding how good of a deal £24k is.  

If you are buying it for yourself it is worth what ever you are willing to spend on it.  If you are looking for resale value then "restoring" it to ORIGINAL is the way to go.  You don't get bonus points for modifications no matter how well they are done.  When you try and sell it you will find people will pick it apart and notice every single detail that is not correct, not only will they tell you about it they will shout it as loud and as often as they can. 

£24k is a reasonable price to pay for a real turbo that needs to be restored.  Depending on how you go about it (what are your skills? how much can you do yourself? or are do you just drop it off at a shop and have it done?) and how many of the unique turbo parts do you need to find the cost can be easily £40-100k on top of the purchase price.  If you have £125k and a couple of years time you could wind up with a £170k car when you are all done.  

• Like 2

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Determine what engine is in the car currently. Obviously, you’d like to have the original engine block. Second best, if the original block is missing, would be another turbo block — 429xxxx. Perhaps third would be a factory-remanufactured turbo engine. Least desirable — and most likely to harm the car’s value — would be some random M10 engine.

This could be a great buy at £25K, or not: restoration costs have been amply noted above.

Regardless, congrats on this find!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

There's a guy in Italy making the blow-off valve assemblies and that missing induction pipe...there was one for sale here a few years back.

There's a few guys in Europe who have parts, Saxon is most visible and least responsive, but there are others.

Don't feel the the pressure to make the car some ultra-original trailer queen, just get it into a condition you enjoy where you can sell it for more than the sum of your investment. 

I also found a poor condition turbo and have restored it enough to make it reliable & fun. It's got the wrong turbo, modern ignition and air conditioning and that's how I like it. 

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I believe the cast elbow is there (note the roundel on top), it’s just been polished and there’s a block off plate for the blow-off valve.  The steel pipe has been chromed?

Edited by wkohler

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

That’s the steel pipe.  It connects at the intake plenum with a cast aluminum elbow that makes goes to the the throttle body.  The valve is a rectangular box that attaches to the cowl side of the elbow and has a hose that vents the excess boost pressure.  

929D6EDB-F89C-4448-861E-AB3F84D1ED94.png

• Like 2

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

4 minutes ago, Jean-Marc said:

Hello Haxxdags,

Just a little question.....are you sure that you are facing a "real" genuine BMW 2002 Turbo ?

You may be in front of a standard BMW 2002 with various turbo parts fitted......Common situation in the past when a turbo was crashed...

What is the VIN ? Any picture of the ID plate ? and/or the body VIN ?

Cheers,

jm 

Hello yes its a real 2002 turbo with 429 vin

Edited by Haxxdags