2002 turbo help

Interesting.  It’s missing the original bypass valve.  It looks like there is a wastegate or something there, 318i valve cover and it must not have a thermostat.  Snorkel nose. Wonder what else has been changed.

Edited by wkohler

Congratulations!

You’ve got the correct seats, it appears, which are nearly impossible to find… 

Other than that, it’s a bit tough to say from your photos, except to say it’s the correct engine set up. There are a huge number of Turbo specific parts.  Some are relatively easy to replace, like brakes (aftermarket), while others are impossible (exhaust manifold). 

Enjoy the adventure!

Greg

By those pictures it looks like you might have found a real car.  It also looks like it has been modified over the years and probably wrecked (snorkel in the nose means it has been hit hard enough that someone has replaced the nose at some point).   Looks like a restoration project if you can buy it right, good luck. 

5 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

By those pictures it looks like you might have found a real car.  It also looks like it has been modified over the years and probably wrecked (snorkel in the nose means it has been hit hard enough that someone has replaced the nose at some point).   Looks like a restoration project if you can buy it right, good luck. 

Sorry what do you mean with "snorkel in the nose"? I cba with a car that might not be straight. The asking price is 25k £ and its around my budget

9 minutes ago, Lengrep said:

Congratulations!

You’ve got the correct seats, it appears, which are nearly impossible to find… 

Other than that, it’s a bit tough to say from your photos, except to say it’s the correct engine set up. There are a huge number of Turbo specific parts.  Some are relatively easy to replace, like brakes (aftermarket), while others are impossible (exhaust manifold). 

Enjoy the adventure!

Greg

Does it looks like the original exhaust manifold? 

At 25K GBP, that's close to fair, maybe a bit high due to the fact that you will have to source some rare and expensive bits.

Note that a proper restoration will cost you in the neighborhood of double that, mostly in parts, and subcontractors,  your free labor, so keep that in mind.

Great find!

19 minutes ago, Haxxdags said:

Does it looks like the original exhaust manifold? 

It looks like it could be from the limited view of it.  Not sure what this car has for a turbo or how that wastegate is integrated.  Downpipe definitely looks to be slightly molested.

21 minutes ago, Haxxdags said:

Sorry what do you mean with "snorkel in the nose"? I cba with a car that might not be straight. The asking price is 25k £ and its around my budget

The round tube in the nose to the right of the radiator is called a "snorkel."  tiis and turbos did not have them.  It's appearance (plus the seam sealer between the nose and inner fender in your photos suggests it is a replacement nose.  It's not uncommon.  

A car that hasn't run in a long time will cost a lot of money to recommission and if you add a proper restoration to that, it could be six figures (before the decimal point).

Edited by wkohler

8 minutes ago, wkohler said:

It looks like it could be from the limited view of it.  Not sure what this car has for a turbo or how that wastegate is integrated.  Downpipe definitely looks to be slightly molested.

The round tube in the nose to the right of the radiator is called a "snorkel."  tiis and turbos did not have them.  It's appearance (plus the seam sealer between the nose and inner fender in your photos suggests it is a replacement nose.  It's not uncommon.  

A car that hasn't run in a long time will cost a lot of money to recommission and if you add a proper restoration to that, it could be six figures (before the decimal point).

Ok now i see it, cheaked with some old picture of my tii and it didnt have that tube. Does this lower the value of the car? I see that this one https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/bmw/2002/1974/863567 have the tube aswell. Are people afraid of this cars? and if they dont have original paint. Im currenly owning a 850CSi and people dont want to buy repainted cars.

The likelihood of finding any 2002 with original paint is pretty low these days.  The bigger concern to me is what would be under the black paint.  If it's not rotten, restoration is going to be an easier time.  The tube can be removed and if done right, it's a non-issue since it won't get brought up.  There are some parts on the car that if they're there, the question is whether or not they're actually good. The exhaust manifold might be there, but it could have 30 cracks in it. Same for the turbo.  I think these days, a documented completely original survivor car in excellent condition not needing a restoration would set the market, but how many of those actually exist?  Also, hard to say what the values actually are since every car is actually different, cars are restored differently and some cars that have incorrect details and parts (often seats) do really well and others don't.  I wouldn't get caught up in the current value of the cars and using that to make a purchasing decision.  Once you see what some of the parts cost (if you can even find them), they're not for the faint of heart compared to some similarly valued cars.  You'd have to want the experience this car provides.  In the realm of many classic cars, I'm sure they're still relatively affordable, but compared to most contemporary BMWs, not so much. 

I guess the key is that if the asking price is in your budget, is making the car at the very least a runner also in your budget?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wkohler said:

The likelihood of finding any 2002 with original paint is pretty low these days.  The bigger concern to me is what would be under the black paint.  If it's not rotten, restoration is going to be an easier time.  The tube can be removed and if done right, it's a non-issue since it won't get brought up.  There are some parts on the car that if they're there, the question is whether or not they're actually good. The exhaust manifold might be there, but it could have 30 cracks in it. Same for the turbo.  I think these days, a documented completely original survivor car in excellent condition not needing a restoration would set the market, but how many of those actually exist?  Also, hard to say what the values actually are since every car is actually different, cars are restored differently and some cars that have incorrect details and parts (often seats) do really well and others don't.  I wouldn't get caught up in the current value of the cars and using that to make a purchasing decision.  Once you see what some of the parts cost (if you can even find them), they're not for the faint of heart compared to some similarly valued cars.  You'd have to want the experience this car provides.  In the realm of many classic cars, I'm sure they're still relatively affordable, but compared to most contemporary BMWs, not so much. 

I guess the key is that if the asking price is in your budget, is making the car at the very least a runner also in your budget?

The car is a running car today. The owner took it out for a spin a couple months ago and running fine. I will ask for the numbers on the gearbox,rear diff etc. I dont really want a mint condition car because then i would not drive it like i want to. Im just the type of guy who dont want to lose money when buying this type of projects. I atleast want my money back if i decide to sell it. But i really appreciate people get involved and answering my questions!