• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct color for Turbo air box?

frached

My air box was in great shape when I got it so I just polished it up and had it scanned.  I have paint but I don't have a formula based on anything other than a Job number from our local paint supply.  I'm sure mine was never painted before I got it. 

It would not surprise me if there are different colors throughout the run.  Their were different shades on the airboxes used in other cars over the years 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

2 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Or black, as I purchased a NOS from I don't know where eons ago.

Perhaps that changed as the production dates changed, so more research on that of course.

Exactly my thought.  The correct color is whatever was in the gun on the day it was built.  

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I have never seen a black one, they are sort of mix of anthracite / grey. I can confirm on 2 original cars they are different shades. 

I think sometimes we get wrapped around the axle on what is right and what is correct, these cars were never built to collect, and on a very short production run they iterated as they went. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 4:06 PM, Preyupy said:

Exactly my thought.  The correct color is whatever was in the gun on the day it was built.  

+1

BMW did not sweat details such as paint color on underhood or chassis components. And… replacement parts were often a different color altogether. We, today, are far, far fussier than BMW was!

Just don’t make the airbox glossy or dead flat. The various colors used for these hidden elements were generally semi-gloss to satin in sheen.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is a semi-gloss kinda dark greyish color.  I'm sure it's original since it still has the purolator decal and everything on it. 

Sorry this is the best photo I have.  It's currently in the trunk and hard to get to right now.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 9.50.05 PM.png

Edited by wkohler
  • Like 1

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo