• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

seat hardware question: anyone know where this cable goes?

rdeeble
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

Does anyone know where this cable is supposed to go? I am told by some parts venders that this is a required part for all  2002 standard seats. However I don't see any looped ended cable identified on the diagram and there isn't a cable like this on my existing seats.

52101805955 ROPE OUTER.jpg

My 76 seats seem to have just two cables: one long one that goes through the roller (#2) and one short vertical cable (#4).  Both of these cables have S ends (neither has a loop end).

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 5.01.26 PM.png

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Hi john, I get the fix - but decided to completely replace all cables as my original cables are so badly rusted that I worry they will eventually break close to the hook ends.

In researching new cables I found the one long one that you referenced here (#2). To my understanding it is one long cable that goes through the roller with S hooks at both ends and a length adjustment (like yours shows) at one end. 

Then a second cable (#4) that runs  vertically down from the lever to the mechanism w/ S hooks at both ends.

but I am still perplexed by this 52101805955 cable with an S hook at one end and a loop on the other... 

Edited by rdeeble

Hummm...Does the S hook have a threaded adjuster?  Hard to tell by your picture.

Is it long enough to reach through the pulley and still attach to the right-side latch?

I don't think the loop hooks onto the latch (looks a bit large), but I didn't get that far into the seat when I did my repair.

The vertical sections of both cables were in good shape, so only the center section was replaced due to rust.

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 10.04.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 10.09.14 PM.png

ECS Tuning's Site states: "This cable unlocks the backrest and allows for adjustment. If the cable has stretched or snapped, replace it with this Original BMW replacement from ECS Tuning to comfortably adjust your seat again."

Still perplexed....

Edited by rdeeble

A brief look at real oem I didn't see a loop like that on any seat cables from the 50's thru the 80's but we all know the ecs tuning has your best interest at heart and can't be wrong, just ask them. Rant narrowly averted, it's late I'm tired.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Robert,

The cables definitely changed as the “old-style” seats (exposed metal recliners, 1968-74) changed to the “e21-style” seats (plastic covers over hidden recliners, 1975-76). And they might have changed more than that single time. RealOEM.com, unfortunately, doesn’t have the myriad of (often-confusing, but wholly-necessary) detail one finds in the original parts catalogue.

I had all four cables replaced when I had my ‘76’s spare front seats rebuilt. I recall being confused at the time by RealOEM.com, but the cables I ordered worked. Let me see if I can find the receipt. I might have given up on the original parts catalogue because the old parts numbers had been completely superseded! ?

(Maybe I even ordered every cable still available from BMW, just to cover my bases: I’m having one of those OEM parts flashbacks! ?)

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Its weird.  I asked both ECS and Rogerstii and both stated this looped cable was standard. When I asked Roger (who sells it) why it wasn't shown on the realoem diagram - he stated that realoem removes the part picture on the diagram when the part goes NLA - somehow that didn't seem right to me... or maybe i misheard him.  Anyone know more on that?

Edited by rdeeble

I've never heard or seen realoem.com remove any NLA parts. If they did that at least half the parts would be gone.

I think Roger is just trying to sell you another overpriced part.

I would suggest taking apart one of your seats to see what's inside before you buy any parts.

• Like 2