• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window Install Question

Shawn Piper

Thats the felt & stopper that go in the channel & at the top of the quarterlight

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

The felt weatherstrip is readily available...  If you want a little installation guidance, I did that on my '73 last year and did the inevitable column about it.  PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Beware of trying to install the BMW branded felt window channel (#15) on the front guide (#19).  It will be too tight against the glass making it very difficult to roll the window up and down. The clip #16 may not be needed and can cause the felt channel to fit improperly.

I did this on my 69 2002 and ended up replacing it with felt channel used on sliding glass doors.  There have been at least two threads on this here.  Search for window channel replacement.

No matter what type of guide channel you purchase, keep in mind the length inside the door is important. Too long and the window won’t roll all the way up. BTDT.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

Beware of trying to install the BMW branded felt window channel (#15) on the front guide (#19).

Huh!  I used the factory stuff from Blunt about a year ago, and it fit like a charm.  Window goes up and down very smoothly with little effort.  Wonder if BMW changed suppliers.  It was even easy to install--much easier than I expected.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

19 hours ago, Shawn Piper said:

How are these clamps (#16) placed?

image.jpeg.c4565a03474c57e933f3702c3e98ffc0.jpeg

In certain cases, you push the clamp into the empty channel of the front guide, then press the fuzzy weatherstrip into the channel.  The clip has two barbs that lock the weatherstrip into place-BUT it may keep the weatherstrip from fully receding into the channel, making window movement difficult and looking terrible.  When tearing down my 69, I only noticed the glue that secured the factory weatherstrip to the front guide. No clips were present.  My existing replacement right door (from a 74-76) and left door (from a 76) did not have any clips.

I do recall this style of clips being used to secure the weatherstripping around the inner door of my VW Beetle (the hollow portion).

Jim Gerock

18 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Huh!  I used the factory stuff from Blunt about a year ago, and it fit like a charm.  Window goes up and down very smoothly with little effort.  Wonder if BMW changed suppliers.  It was even easy to install--much easier than I expected.  

mike

Well maybe BMW changed suppliers. I purchased mine from Blunt- possibly in 2015.  I’ll dig up my comparison pics when I get a moment.  

Jim Gerock

What the diagram fails to show is the guide #19 is located at the rear of the door, not the front.  The guide has a flat piece that accepts the rear pinch piece (that has nylon inserts).  The weatherstrip in question fits in the quarter window frame. See attached picture of the late model right  door in my 69.

ADAC165E-4EC6-4149-A2A6-A39D9B1EC5D2.jpeg

Jim Gerock

Here is a picture comparing the new stock type window channel (right) versus the aftermarket type I am using (on the left). Note the inner width between the two.  The BMW sourced channel was so tight, even trying to slide it on the glass (both items out of the door) was difficult. When I first assembled the door, I had to use one hand to pull the glass up while cranking the window winder.

F0B0545D-201B-4C6E-A5C9-0E97EE4BCB26.jpeg

Jim Gerock