• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Woosh / blow off valve noise at shifting ... but non-turbo.

Mucci

I remember (when the e30's were only a few years old) in the late 80's diagnosing  an M20 with the same issue.  The only difference was all the spark plugs were finger tight form the dealer (customer stated it was just serviced).  It sounded like a steam engine while it ran.  I was surprised it still ran....LOL

Glad you found it,

Matt

Also, retighten your header nuts,  heh.

Whistling E30? The bolts that hold the cover plate on the intake manifold are just a tad loose.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ok well it wasn’t the spark plug, although the car idles a bit smoother now. 

I’m pretty sure it’s in the exhaust at this point; either a leak I haven’t found or something loose inside that makes the noise under back pressure. 

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

You could try disconnecting/plugging the brake booster vacuum line and see if it still happens, just be ready to stand on the brakes when you go to stop.

Otherwise, check and re-check every vacuum hose, you can try spraying starting fluid around the hoses/base of the carb and see if the idle changes.  Keep a fire extinguisher close by though.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!