• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Kumquat, my newly acquired ‘74 INKA sunroof car

NLPed

8 minutes ago, Henning said:

Done.

P8270055.JPG

henn

How hard was it to install?

Did you have to drill the IACV hole?

What engine management system did you use?

Did you buy their EFI Fuel pump / Swirl pot assembly?

How much did it end up costing ?

How do you like it?

Basically can we have a review of your experience with it?

How hard was it to install?

>We had to widen the intake a bit because the throttles hit the edges:

PC070009.JPG

And replacing the four bolts by shorter ones. The old ones were too long.

MAP junction with the blue line:

PC070026.JPG

A cnc-made adapter for the airbox:

IMG_2144.jpeg

Throttle linkage is nearly plug'n'play.

Did you have to drill the IACV hole?

>No. IACV is included as a stepper in the retroject.

What engine management system did you use?

>" ECUmaster EMU" made in Poland. I recommend choosing a local supplier for mother-tongue support if needed. I don't know of english forums for the EMU.

Did you buy their EFI Fuel pump / Swirl pot assembly?

>Same supplier as the retroject. We thought it would be better if pump and injection unit came from one hand.

How much did it end up costing ?

>It's not my car so I don't know. Here are links:
https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/15299-retroject-3838-throttle-body/

plus tuning/mapping on the dyno, of course.

How do you like it?

>Depends on the tuning. With the first data set it was nearly impossible to run up without screaming rear wheels- in an automatic. This was improved later but it shew the possibility range of a modern engine management on an old motor what I found pretty interesting. 110HP and 180Nm were measured on a standard E12.

Basically can we have a review of your experience with it?

>Not really, I'm sorry. Car and owner live some away from me but I can ask him one the phone if requested. Generally I may write a blog entry about efi conversions one day.

henn

• Like 3

I took the five BBS 13x6” mesh wheels to the powder coater to have them refinished. Doing them an anthracite Grey color. Then I’ll dismount and remount and balance the tires. I’ll also have matching spare, so cool. 

Im contemplating selling it as I have my eye on another project too ?

Maybe you should drive the '02 a little bit. Put it through its paces, before sidelining/selling it (unless it's a money thing). You've only had it a few months.

You may get the bug like most of us have.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

29 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Maybe you should drive the '02 a little bit. Put it through its paces, before sidelining/selling it (unless it's a money thing). You've only had it a few months.

You may get the bug like most of us have.

It’s not financial, it’s just that I’m not driving it any. I have a few other toys that are just a bit more fun to drive. 

28 minutes ago, NLPed said:

It’s not financial, it’s just that I’m not driving it any. I have a few other toys that are just a bit more fun to drive. 

Let us know what are your other 'fun' toys.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, after a very long period of the Kumquat being untouched, I finally got it out and drove it. It actually fired up and fell into a nice idle without issue.  After adding some non-ethanol premium, checking the fluids,  I ran it down the road. Drove pretty good considering I forgot to check tire pressures which were all around 20 psi. But I did end up losing the brakes, but the clutch works fine and the reservoir is still full. So, by using the parking brake, I got the Kumquat home and I’ve concluded that the M/C took a dump since there are no leaks and all the brakes were replaced right after I took possession of it. 

21F48FBC-0B22-455D-AEF4-C41CB081946B.jpeg

• Like 1