• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return to the FAQ (and to 02ing)

ozgeorge

Greetings from Melbourne Australia

I first posted on this FAQ in 2003- I was just finishing medical school and was planning a resto on my 72 Granada 2002 which had been bought new by my grandfather, driven by my father and then driven by me during med school before the engine finally gave in. 

I was in my 20s and the project wasn't organised, and my budget wasn't big. I went off in different directions (m20- which resulted in me cutting the front end), M10 EFI (which resulted in me buying a whole lot of parts I subsequently sold) and ultimately it ground to a halt. 

Then career intervened for about 12 years and the car has sat in my mum's garage (in Perth) since. 

My last post was around 2009. Also, all the really old posts seem to have disappeared or at least I have found a few but now they just say "anonymous user"

Anyway, now the time has come to finish (actually begin again!) the restoration. My perspective on these things has changed now that I'm in my 40s. I regret some of the original parts I threw away (i STILL can't find that BEHR evaporator!)

So the goal for the resto;

1. a gentle resto mod- perfect resto, gentle mods

2. Driveable for weekends and maybe some non competitive tarmac rally events but no outrageous mods

3. not a daily driver

4. some concessions to driveability and power increase so not seeking to do a bone stock as show room 71 resto

5. any mods must be visually discrete or period

6. and..... no expense spared?! 

There are still a few details I haven't ironed out in my head so there will be more questions and pics to follow. and probably lots of questions about where to source things. although I see many of the old sources are still going strong like ireland, jaymic, walloth nesch etc. 

Wish me luck dear people

ozgeorge

• Like 2

Welcome back! I know you said your old M10 EFI plan didn't work out, but from my point of view your goals are just screaming for some Jenvey 'Heritage' DCOE-looking TBs. . . EFI stuff has gotten a LOT more popular and easier in the past decade so are you SURE you don't want to try for it? For a little more $ you can get some pretty good, almost turn-key systems like Haltech that you can pretty much just install and then go. Bias admission: I'm a big EFI proponent here on the FAQ, so I always tend to vote in favor of it, but I'm also here to help out with such projects!

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bodies-and-components/throttle-bodies/heritage-dcoe/heritage-twin-tbody-40-48mm-pair-tdp40-48

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Welcome back! I know you said your old M10 EFI plan didn't work out, but from my point of view your goals are just screaming for some Jenvey 'Heritage' DCOE-looking TBs. . . EFI stuff has gotten a LOT more popular and easier in the past decade so are you SURE you don't want to try for it? For a little more $ you can get some pretty good, almost turn-key systems like Haltech that you can pretty much just install and then go. Bias admission: I'm a big EFI proponent here on the FAQ, so I always tend to vote in favor of it, but I'm also here to help out with such projects!

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bodies-and-components/throttle-bodies/heritage-dcoe/heritage-twin-tbody-40-48mm-pair-tdp40-48

Agreed with your comments, and very happy with how the Jenvey setup is currently functioning on my 69.  Cold start issues are a thing of the past.  One note, I only went with a 292 cam, but these injectors would have no issues with a lot more duration if one was so inclined.  I can definitely recommend the setup now after 1k miles plus.  Good stuff for sure.

20191115_185812_resized.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

G'day George - i definitely recognise your username from way back.

There remains a good Melbourne base of owners - we get roughly between 5 and 18 cars along to drives, so hope to catch you at one! I'm not sure if you're on the Australian 2002 owners Facebook group, but if not - there is a lot of local knowledge on there - https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmw2002ownersaustralia

If you aren't a Facebook user though (or just want to be on the list!), shoot me a msg with your email and I'll add you to the mailing list / Victorian 02 register - it helps us get together for informal 02 drives.

Also, this post from Brent at Dee Bee engines is a great snapshot of some local suppliers - very handy - http://deebeeengines.com.au/bmw-2002-2002-tii-1602-workshop-guide/

Look forward to seeing updates!

Tom

• Like 1

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

On 12/28/2020 at 12:16 PM, ozgeorge said:

Anyway, now the time has come to finish (actually begin again!) the restoration. My perspective on these things has changed now that I'm in my 40s. I regret some of the original parts I threw away (i STILL can't find that BEHR evaporator!)

This part is so familiar to us who started young. Good luck!

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

On 12/28/2020 at 2:16 AM, ozgeorge said:

I regret some of the original parts I threw away (i STILL can't find that BEHR evaporator!)

I know the feeling, I threw out a lot of parts I thought would never be worth much that I now wish I had kept.  Welcome back. 

• Like 1