• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stainless rocker trim install

jerryasi

Installing the stainless rocker trim pieces, have glued the seals. The clips that I got from W&N are different from the clips I used many years ago to attach the same pieces. They stand proud of the rocker when in place. Question do you initially hook the bottom of the trim piece into the clip, then force the top over?

The later style clips (like the ones you got from W&N) were originally for E21 rocker trim and are actually an improvement to the original 2002 clips, which wear and eventually make it very easy to knock the rocker trim off when you hit it with your foot exiting the car.  

When installing the new clips you're supposed to drive the center pin in until it's flush with the top of the clip; that spreads the tang that goes into the sheet metal and holds the clip in place.  I generally install by hooking the top of the rocker trim over the clip, then smartly whacking the lower edge with a rubber mallet.  Start at the front (after installing the stud plate and partially tightening its nut) and work your way aft.  Once installed and properly aligned, don't forget to tighten the nut up front.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike, @Mike Self so the newer clips are improved? There are posts where people complain about them and now source the original style. 

There was even an @AceAndrew link I think.  Of course I am fully stocked with the new style and am now rethinking that and may go to the black original style. https://www.maximillianblog.com/post/a-proper-rocker

Here are some forum items I saved, no particular order just linking for you to read.  Also about the seal strip install. 

This explains seal install best

http://www.my2002tii.com/2006/june2006/index.htm

Buy the original style from Max, the new replacements are crap.  Then buy super thin rubber o-rings or even plastic washers to give the clips some distance from the rocker itself.  Use the o-rings only where needed.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

On 12/23/2020 at 11:17 AM, mgben said:

There are posts where people complain about them and now source the original style. 

Good to know.  When I last did mine (1991 IIRC) the original style clips were NLA and had been replaced by the E21 style clips.  The ones I sourced from BMW worked just fine, and seemed to grip better than the original smaller black ones. 

As with a lot of replacement parts, the quality of those newer style clips may have suffered in the intervening 29 years!  It's good to know the OEM clips are again available.  Will have to stock up on some before the mysteriously disappear.  Again.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I am about to do this too, but can you guys please tell me where the exactly the holes should be for the clips? I do not know what size from lets say the doors the holes should be what is the diameter of the holes and how many should be the holes. The thing is that the sideskirts were replaced and the new sheet metal came without drilled holes for this. Is there an blueprint or something where this is visible?

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

On 12/27/2020 at 5:56 AM, pehlivanov_tii said:

I am about to do this too, but can you guys please tell me where the exactly the holes should be for the clips? I do not know what size from lets say the doors the holes should be what is the diameter of the holes and how many should be the holes. The thing is that the sideskirts were replaced and the new sheet metal came without drilled holes for this. Is there an blueprint or something where this is visible?

Pehlivanov, I took some photos from the passenger side rocker of my ‘74 02. Since mine is flared, I don’t have the measurement of the hole for the front lower fender or the rear of the rocker connected to  the quarter panel. The hole diameter is about 7.5mm. Good luck! Measurements are from hole center.

-Mike

4E75C808-43BB-4E18-8AAD-D7196304BACE.jpeg

91B65E7A-81FA-4029-91B0-7DCCFF6A5A40.jpeg

C1A3A912-E22C-4490-B126-7295F08F2927.jpeg

84524616-B853-4731-A4C0-2E761BEBCC2E.jpeg

23648F7E-FC24-4F87-B529-BB2CB24B8DE2.jpeg

DA565672-9ACC-4788-9D2B-08988C10469B.jpeg

092B8439-A046-4B9D-BD43-6FF5DBB53754.jpeg

3AE60B8D-D3C4-4E92-B959-1825342838F0.jpeg

241D6C4F-0807-4690-A3A5-2D2E7A7188D0.jpeg

Edited by boxy02

Mike