• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Champion Cooling Systems Radiator

spuriouspseudo

It appears that the radiator doesn't have a drain cock, or am I missing it in the picture.  Otherwise looks very stock and original.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, rcf925 said:

Bolted right in

Yeah, it's the top plate on the frame rails that mine fouls on.  It's close, could probably be made to work, but I'd rather just reposition to get some clearance.  My chassis is actually a late '67 1600 - maybe that's got something to do with it.  Still very happy with the rad.

Your bay looks really nice - pretty much one of the reasons I decided to try the Champion rad.

6 hours ago, Mike Self said:

It appears that the radiator doesn't have a drain cock

My original unit has a drain in the side, but it's pretty messed up.  New unit has no drains, but it looks like the single core model does.

6 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

You don't need to pay tarrifs

Thanks! great info...  I'll be putting this to use.  I find in Canada, especially when you don't have your own broker it gets rough ensuring that everything is done properly.  I've gone as far as importing myself; I'm lucky enough to be near a customs office, but then I'll still get a secondary bill from the courier that becomes a nightmare.  Aluminum in particular has been catching the wrong kind of attention lately.

On 10/29/2020 at 11:11 AM, rcf925 said:

Bolted right in with a 12" pusher fan on front

2002 Engine Bay.jpg

How did you fit the rad and fan into the car?  I have the same radiator, but there is almost no room between it and the water pump pulley, so I couldn't *tilt* the radiator into place with a fan attached on the front..  Was about to fabricate some brackets to hold the fan directly to the nose of the car instead.

27 minutes ago, cagedbunny said:

How did you fit the rad and fan into the car?  I have the same radiator, but there is almost no room between it and the water pump pulley, so I couldn't *tilt* the radiator into place with a fan attached on the front..  Was about to fabricate some brackets to hold the fan directly to the nose of the car instead.

Mine is a 68 2002, I attached Fan to front of Radiator first, Then  just angled it in, wasn't difficult and have about a inch clearance from water pump to radiator

Edited by rcf925

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/29/2020 at 8:11 AM, rcf925 said:

I put in a Champion last year, Didn't have to change anything, Bolted right in with a 12" pusher fan on front, Car stays cool below midway on temp gauge, Rarely have to turn fan on

2002 Engine Bay.jpg

kinda late but I’m tempted by these champion rads. Did you get a 2 or 3 core unit? eBay or other source? Thanks!!!

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

• 1 year later...

For anyone looking into the Champion radiators, the 3-row version is 2.5” deep, measured across the top tank. The core itself sits about 1/8” shy of that mark.

I’m hoping I can loosen the various mounts and nudge the motor/driveline back enough to clear, but right now it hits the pulley, even with the fan removed.

(I had watched Spurious’ awesome videos re his 2-row, but as those weren’t in stock I took a gamble on the 3.)

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Keep in mind that someday the fan belt has to be changed. Got room for that, cus (intentiional) it happens out away from home.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.