• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Liesl phase 2: Suspension and Underbody

mvliotta

On 1/10/2021 at 5:52 PM, Conserv said:

Hey, Vince,

Best regards,

Steve

Great thread Vince and timing on my headlight restoration as well as other plated parts; thanks for the reminder on this article Steve. When you have a significant amount of overspray to clean off parts before plating - what's the consensus on the best way to do this without harming the plating surface? I was contemplating bead blasting, but in seeing this I'm now at a loss.

1973 2002tii Taiga, 2763376 

1969 2002 Chamonix, 1666774

54 minutes ago, rudolpholaspari2002 said:

... When you have a significant amount of overspray to clean off parts before plating - what's the consensus on the best way to do this without harming the plating surface? I was contemplating bead blasting, but in seeing this I'm now at a loss....

Bead blasting is fast and effective, but you’ll sacrifice the original gloss of the item. I use a combination of mineral spirits and, for the heaviest of pre-existing overspray, paint stripper. Honestly, mineral spirits / turpentine / acetone / or whatever on a rag takes off 97% of what I find!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Bead blasting is fast and effective, but you’ll sacrifice the original gloss of the item. I use a combination of mineral spirits and, for the heaviest of pre-existing overspray, paint stripper. Honestly, mineral spirits / turpentine / acetone / or whatever on a rag takes off 97% of what I find!

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve -appreciate the advice, was hesitant to use too harsh a chemical based on finish; but will follow your guidance here :)

1973 2002tii Taiga, 2763376 

1969 2002 Chamonix, 1666774

• 1 month later...

Finally got to spray the underside after what seemed like endless prep!

First step was to get some quality base Ceylon paint from the shop that will do the rest of the car.

Spraying upside down with an hvlp gun required some rigging. I added an elbow to keep the container vertical while pointing the gun up. 

82C00E91-38B7-49DE-AD60-D99D170D6C5F.jpeg

Here’s my “spray booth”. Respirator a must with this set up. 

F5A2F2A3-092F-414B-9A2A-3C2D2A0C4D33.jpeg

...and the result:

E3958A69-096F-4FF9-A027-5ED90DCAD59A.jpeg
Not a pro job, but pretty happy with it. Luckily, the schutz that was on everything did a great job of protecting the underside for the last 50 years, even if it was royal PITA to get off. 

With this done, my original plan was to spray the engine bay also and put everything back together, drive it this summer, and get the exterior painted Ceylon this winter.  My painter convinced me to send him the car and have him do the down-to-metal paint job while suspension and engine are out. Also, he has a slot opening at the end of this month once done with an e21.

Sooooo.... put a bare-bones dolly together with a few wheels, a couple of 2x4s attached to a spare front and rear subframe. This will do the job to get the car on/off tow truck and rolling around the shop. 
680125C2-F468-4827-BB77-23608508F981.jpeg

Now stripping the rest of the car in prep for paint in a few weeks.

I think that’s it for this thread as the re-Ceylonification stage is about to begin!

• Like 5

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

48 minutes ago, mvliotta said:

I think that’s it for this thread as the re-Ceylonification stage is about to begin!

Nicely done! Bottom looks great.  Would love to see a picture with all the suspension etc installed. Keep up the good work. 

• Thanks 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958