• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Liesl phase 2: Suspension and Underbody

mvliotta

After a successful engine rebuild and 5speed swap last winter, moving to phase 2: complete suspension refresh, underbody, and the associated scope creep. 

Will use this thread to track the slow progress I’ll make over the fall/winter and log the Q&A.

Starting with rear subframe. Murray is keeping me company along the way..

DE39127A-8BDC-4F8B-971A-4B0FDB4F2237.jpeg
Vince

• Like 3

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

On 10/22/2020 at 8:36 AM, 2002iii said:

Murray looks concerned, I think he's turned his back to your project because he thinks it's to rusty and greasy. I would suggest an lsd if you don't already have one, makes it a lot more fun.

Rusty and greasy indeed! The good news is I have not-so-crusty subframe spares and half shafts that I will use and have a very nice 3.64 lsd that I purchased from a FAQ member that will be going in. 

5 hours ago, scatman75 said:

Seems I'm a little behind, pulling my motor next week for a little refresh and while its out some body work

Good luck with the motor refresh, Tom! I wish I had tackled the engine bay while my motor was out, but just couldn’t get to it because of time constraints. 

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

So, first big decision on the project was whether I was going to stick with my 230mm rear drums or go with 250mm upgrade. Figure that slippery slope will run about $1k once bearings, brake components and the expense of dealing with the 36mm castle nut was factored in.

The existing brakes work, and shoes and cylinders are relatively new, but adjusters are stuck. The rear bearings seem fine also...for now.  Decided that if I could get adjusters spinning I would keep the stock rear brakes as the 17mm bolts for the adjusters are not too bad, 

Spent time PB blasting, heating, banging, grabbing, cursing over two days and got the rear-most adjusters in each plate freed up using vice grips...two more to go.

Got the heavy machinery out (Small pipe wrench and BFH) for the other two and got them spinning also, without too much damage.  

503FE640-8F95-4394-94D0-BFC2C06FCE70.jpeg
So final decision on these is whether to replace the drums as these seem old and crusty....should I just replace these and move on?

• Like 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

23 minutes ago, mvliotta said:

503FE640-8F95-4394-94D0-BFC2C06FCE70.jpeg
So final decision on these is whether to replace the drums as these seem old and crusty....should I just replace these and move on?

Old drums, Vince? Just replace them. They’ve probably already been machined at least once. And new ones aren’t a lot of money.

The stock rear brakes are a good match for the stock front brakes. I’d keep stock rears if I were keeping stock fronts. And that’s what I’ve done with my own ‘73 tii. What are your plans for your front brakes?

Watching your progress with interest!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

The stock rear brakes are a good match for the stock front brakes. I’d keep stock rears if I were keeping stock fronts. And that’s what I’ve done with my own ‘73 tii. What are your plans for your front brakes?

You are skipping ahead Steve!

The front brakes are in great shape as I rebuilt stock tii calipers and replaced brake lines (and front bearing) 2 years ago. 
825B25CD-7589-4548-8C54-20CA37572C93.jpeg

The front subframe/suspension will get done this winter along with other stuff.   

Thanks for advice on drums. Did not think about matching front and rear brakes.  My general car knowledge is pretty limited... if you haven’t figured that out yet!!

Vince

• Like 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

1 hour ago, mvliotta said:

replace the drums as these seem old and crusty....should I just replace these and move on?

Your picture shows rear wheel backing plates.  Keep them unless they are pitted all the way through. I was worried when I powder coated mine.  I thought the adjusters might seize again.  No problem. They didn't.

Definitely buy new drums and clearcoat them.  The clearcoat will discourage rust for a long time and if your wheels have large open spokes it looks like the drum is actually a disk.  People comment all the time.

Hub1.jpg

Keep up the good work.  Bringing back memories.

• Like 3

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Hey Vince.  Still some good driving weather to come in NJ before the snow flies.  You must have been itching for a project to take the car down already.   Wish I could spend a few Saturdays helping out.   But a bit too far to travel now.   Good luck.

• Like 1

Paul

Vince,

First, congrats on getting the adjusters freed up. Mine were horrific and took at LEAST two days to get free. Heat, PB, heat, PB, vise grips wiggle wiggle etc. Such a bitch of a job. The only thing more difficult on my car were getting the rear carrier bushings removed.

As Steve suggested, replace the drums. I got Brembo from Blunt. I also went ahead and replaced the shoes and cylinders too...cheap. 

Keep going!

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

19 hours ago, pjp90 said:

Hey Vince.  Still some good driving weather to come in NJ before the snow flies.  You must have been itching for a project to take the car down already.   Wish I could spend a few Saturdays helping out.   But a bit too far to travel now.   Good luck.

Would have had a couple of Peroni’s waiting for you, Paul!! 

You guessed it...With the ambitious list of things to do, I’ll need all the time I could get before next spring. I expect I’ll be a lot slower than we were ripping through the engine rebuild early this year. 

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

16 hours ago, mvliotta said:

...I expect I’ll be a lot slower than we were ripping through the engine rebuild early this year. 

That was my impression as well, Vince: Paul and you really got down to business and ripped through the engine rebuild. Kudos to you both!

Best regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)