• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's this BMW E3 colour?

Tharazero1

Hi guys,

I've been looking around at some E3's and whilst looking i found this beautiful blue colour, but I'm struggling to pinpoint the colour of it. It looks like riviera but i'm not sure, and i've checked the colour codes and am still struggling.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Alexander

799px-BMW_E3_Alpina_5312709.jpg

Edited by Tharazero1

My guess Mitternachtblau Metallic 040 - or ALPINA Blaumetallic

However there is a lot of variance in 040 depending on Color Make and sunlight.

Same Car different light Mitternachtblau

P1070898.JPG

BMW_017.jpg

Edited by uai
  • Like 2

Alexander,

By 2020, when 99% of BMW’s metallic-paint cars — from the 1970’s — have been re-painted due to the systematic failure of the factory metallic paints, it is difficult to identify with certainty either (a.) an original period-correct BMW color, versus a later-era BMW color or a non-BMW color, or (b.) a modern formulation of a period-correct BMW color, which can vary considerably from the original color. Stated differently, the “color on an E3” is not necessarily an “E3 color”. This is in addition to the natural variations in a given color’s appearance, based on lighting and setting, as Uli mentioned and illustrated above.

Nachtblau metallic (paint code 040), at least in the first half of the 1970’s, was a coupe-only color (i.e., E9) — the only coupe-only color! I’ve heard anecdotal stories, none documented by an Archives report that I’ve seen thus far, suggesting Nachtblau occasionally appeared by special order on other-than-coupes. And I’d guess that may have happened, at least a few times.

The coupe in your second photo certainly appears to be Nachtblau metallic, and, being a coupe, it was very possibly the car’s original color. The bodywork on the Alpina E3 — notice the very wavy reflections on the car’s right body panels, below the beltline — suggests a less-than-stellar repair and repaint. If that’s how they left the panels looking before a repaint, who knows what color they may have been shooting?

Nachtblau metallic is a gorgeous color. If you’re changing the color of your E3 — and I am no advocate of color changes, in general — you could do far worse! ?

Below, color concordance pages from a few BMW paint and upholstery brochures: January 1972, September 1973, and February 1974.

Regards,

Steve

81A77E0A-A2B0-4739-9DFC-6F1F2B414E75.jpeg

E2EA7566-DCA6-4B14-9DB7-8F5D0D5D8BE0.jpeg

E5C6ADB9-EBDF-4F3F-96DB-CB8BFB97EA48.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

48 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

More details on that specific car? Badged Alpina?

That's the only photo I have. I've tried to look for more and haven't found any. The photo itself was only posted on wikipedia commons and not any carpage so that doesn't help either