• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toyo RA-1 in the wet praise

Went autocrossing last weekend in my 73 rolling on my 205/60 RA-1’s. As with most auto-x events I am the oldest car there, but usually manage mid-field overall for the day, and hold my own in my Superclass. Last weekend rain came down really good early in, and by god I could drive those tires pretty much just as hard in the wet. My only real change was shifting a little less aggressively. 

Everyone fell off quite a bit. A guy in ‘98 Vette said “man you’re kicking ass!, you got me by two seconds!” The low HP helped me not loop out of corners, but in the slaloms I was just throwing it around! I can’t say enough good about how those tires stuck! Good enough for 3rd in my superclass and 5th overall!

(pic taken as rain started)

61716037-A1A2-4160-BF06-D997E5802CCF.jpeg

• Like 7

For us diehard purists, too bad they don't come in 185/70 13s...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Great job! Congratulations!

I'm freakin' excited to read that you run 205s under what appear to be stock fenders.

What wheel fitment are you using, and do you have rubbing issues at all???

I'm an autoX junkie too, second season in the 02. Still on 195-15 Bridgestones.

Edited by d.hitchcock

2 hours ago, tzei said:

Nice! What’s your camber, caster & toe settings (f/r) for this tire? Pressure (cold)?

I’m running the IE fixed camber plates, (so not near enough) I wear the outsides of the fronts badly. I have ordered a set of lengthened control arms from forum member DanJer (?) which will hopefully get the rest of the front tire on the ground. 

To my embarrasment i don’t the numbers for the caster and toe. The car had the camber plates, Bav Auto springs, and Billy sports when I bought it. I added IE bars and strut brace, and wheels and tires.  It appears to have a bit of caster, as the wheel snaps back to center well, and does have a bit of weight to the steering, but I like the feel, and never felt it inhibited the toss-ability. 

Air pressures are 44 front an 40 rear which  according to the scuffing on the side tread looks about right. I’ve played a bit with the pressure difference to try to help the understeer, but no significant change noticed. Hopefully more camber will fix that. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, d.hitchcock said:

Great job! Congratulations!

I'm freakin' excited to read that you run 205s under what appear to be stock fenders.

What wheel fitment are you using, and do you have rubbing issues at all???

I'm an autoX junkie too, second season in the 02. Still on 195-15 Bridgestones.

The Auto-x setup is 13x6 ET27 ATS Classics with the 205/60r13 RA-1 

Street setup is 13x6 ET28 Ronal Kleeblat with 205/60r13 Federal 595’s

On both setups i run an 1/8” spacer on front as HARD cornering results in a SLIGHT rub between strut and sidewall. Even with spacer it’s still there a little, but just enough to make a shiny spot on the strut, and shiny spot on the sidewall that I monitor but does not appear to be removing rubber. Like I said only noticeable on sustained hard cornering (long sweepers) but then just for a moment. 

In the rear i did have to roll the lips a bit, but wasn’t too hard and didn’t break the paint. No rubbing in rear. If you wish we can have conversation about my lip rolling method. 

More pics. 

57F8A38E-31D4-4619-8231-E196E7A4EF23.jpeg

8F18FF19-E239-47E3-9EC4-8B032C0187F2.jpeg

• Like 4

I’m also prepared that the longer control arms may cause me to have to roll the front lips. I believe the IE fixed plates are about the max you can tip the tops in with stock diameter springs. I’m really happy with the Bav Auto springs, could be stiffer at Auto-x but not sure I want too much stiffer on the street, so not really ready to jump to coilovers with their smaller diameter springs. Those would let me run adjustable camber plates and get the top of the tire farther a way from the lip...and of course gain the more camber I need. 

• Like 1

try lower tire pressures- especially in the wet. 

It will handle differently 

(maybe not to your liking)

but absolute grip numbers will go up.

t

from my data.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...

Hey @Johnny Riviera those Kleeblatts look great! I recently aquired a set from Germany and hope to get them mounted soon. I'm waiting for some of those special mag lug nuts to arrive. I'm hoping the ones I ordered will work for these rims. Have you had any issues finding the proper lug nuts for your rims?

Thanks,

Christian 

They aren’t as common as they once were, and someone under 40 most likely has never used them. You need “Mag style” with a “short shank”

Most parts stores and tire shops can get them, they just may not know it. 

I used these:

Gorilla Automotive PN # 73137SMB

Amazon had them. 

• Like 1

I just want to say, those are 2 great wheel choices!

Also my Proxes in 15" were very good in the wet. I like Toyos. Oh and also in 17" on the E24.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.