• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake booster & engine bay

tdskip

Shockingly I worked on the long suffering ‘74 Tii today. Hope some of you are sitting down for that news.

1)  I am planning to send the brake booster to Karp’s in SoCal unless there is a more preferable source to have tit rebuilt 

2) Anyone know if a shop in SoCal that would be able to strip and paint my engine compartment without my having to give up my first born chikd? Oh sure, she is a teenager and at times a mint engine bay seems worth the trade but her Mom would be pissed and I’d probably miss her after all.

Hope it’s been a good week so far.

Thanks!

081A5597-76F3-4F81-8F85-45A777DC005B.jpeg

15 hours ago, tdskip said:

2) Anyone know if a shop in SoCal that would be able to strip and paint my engine compartment without my having to give up my first born chikd?

I sent you a PM (have a shop who’s painted a couple of engine bays for me, very reasonable). -KB

12 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

I did mine myself, Wasn't bad, Paint store mixed up some original Granada, I used a small gun to spray assuming you have motor out

enginebay1.jpg

@rcf925 -  Did you have must surface rust to deal with/treat?

Look great, nice work.

Are you sure that's a BMW booster?-  looks a little P- car to me 

;)

t

not letting you live it down, of course!

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

8 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Are you sure that's a BMW booster?-  looks a little P- car to me 

;)

not letting you live it down, of course!

Literally LOL, well played sir, well played indeed!

It depends on how far you want to go with it, but if you're going through the trouble of repainting your engine bay, I think you should replace the firewall insulation.  You can still buy it new from BMW (Part #51487450110).  I'd also take out the pedal box and clean it up / rebuild it if needed. Generally, its probably a good time to inspect all the other rubber pieces (bushings etc) and replace them since you're in there.  And of course you can degrease the engine and stuff... yeah, engine bay stuff tends to creep up on you ?

Not sure where you are in SoCal, but Miramar Autobody was recommended to me by La Jolla Independent.  I ended up having my whole car done at SoCal Paintworks, which I think does a better job, but they just want the bigger jobs. 

What kind of price did you get quoted from Karp’s?