• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

early vs late windshield wiper holes

bimmerwork

IS ANYONE AWARE THAT EARLY W/WIPER HOLES IN THE COWL ARE OF DIFFERENT DIAMETERS THAN THAT OF LATER CARS ?  THIS I DISCOVERED DURING THE IMPOSIBILE RUBBER GROMMET INSTALL... THE RUBBER GROMMETS ? FROM ROGERS Tii AND MAXIMILLIAN,  THE CAR ? A VERY EARLY '68 '02.  SOOO, I MEASURED THE OFFENDING HOLES IN MY CAR...12mm,  ONLY SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN THE SPINDLE.   I THEN MEASURED THE HOLES IN MY FRIENDS '75 PROJECT... 22mm !    HMMMMM, NO WONDER,  THE GROMMETS FIT PERFECTLY IN HIS CAR !

MY QUESTION IS,  SINCE THERE IS NO ROOM FOR A RUBBER GROMMET, WHAT IS THE CORRECT ASSEMBLY CONSIST OF ?  I HAVE AN ASORTMENT OF HEAVY SS WASHERS, FLAT CHROME WASHERS, THE CHROME NUTS, BUT NO RUBBER COMPONENTS, OTHER THAN THE IMPOSIBLE ONES.

THANKS FOR ANY ENLIGHTMENT YOU CAN PROVIDE.

The factory parts book only shows a single set of part numbers for all the nuts, washers, rubber grommets etc that go on the windshield wiper pivots; only the part numbers for the wiper motors are different.  So the parts book isn't gonna help.  

The only rubber piece I remember replacing (admittedly a long time ago) was a flat rubber washer that separated the chrome washer (under the exterior nut) from the car's paint.  I found some rubber washers of the proper diameter at our local hardware store, and they worked (and are still working) just fine.  

If you have an idea of the OD, ID and cross section measurements of the rubber grommets you seek, I'll wager you can find an on-line supplier that has some of the correct size, or close enough so they'll work.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Early cars did not have that large rubber grommet and I just put one in my 75 and I can not get all the pieces to fit, it’s too thick.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix