• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel ID Help requested

joysterm

Never seen any on US cars...or anywhere else, for that matter...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike,

Given the 14” diameter, could it be an e30 rather than an e21 rim? Regardless, a 14” rim was not an OEM option on the e21’s. I also don’t see a BMW roundel, so I’m guessing it was not an OEM offering for any model but, rather, strictly an aftermarket rim. The combination of F.P.S. as the manufacturer and Pirelli as the sponsor or owner of the design suggests to me possibly an Italian-market rim — despite the “Nurburgring” model name! Lastly, given the F.P.S. and Pirelli pedigree, it’s a high-quality rim regardless of its original application and market.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

FPS--the company that made the early alloy ("tii") wheels for BMW as a 5j x 13, also sold an identical 5.5 x 13 rim--not through BMW but independently.  I've only seen one set, and I'm not sure where they came from, but not from (at least a) US BMW dealer.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

F.P.S. also made a majority of the late OEM alloys, including the 5 1/2” version for Euro e21’s and the 6” version for the 2002 turbo :

And they made factory e21 alloys, etc.

Of note, F.P.S. manufactured two known “Italian dealer option” alloys for the ‘02:

We have seen examples of both of these F.P.S. rims with and without the BMW roundel, those with the roundel signifying they were sold by BMW, those without suggesting an aftermarket offering — just as Mike S. has posited for the early OEM alloy rims.

F.P.S. quality has been uniformly excellent on all these ‘02 rims.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)