• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 2002 Door Handle Disassembly & Re-Chrome

'74 2002

I'm looking to have my outer door handles re-chromed and believe I need to fully disassemble them so that only the door handle goes into the chrome bath. To that end I have to remove the key lock mechanism in it's entirety and not just the tumbler. There appears to be two roll pins that need to be removed in order for the key lock mechanism to be separated from the door handle.

If anyone has done this before I'd appreciate any input. Would also like to know what size the roll pins are so I can purchase new ones for reassembly. They look small, I'm guessing 1/16th" at the most but feel it's going to be hard to measure that small a hole to get an accurate measurement. Would these pins even be a domestic size or would they be metric? Thank you.

3 hours ago, '74 2002 said:

I'm looking to have my outer door handles re-chromed and believe I need to fully disassemble them so that only the door handle goes into the chrome bath. To that end I have to remove the key lock mechanism in it's entirety and not just the tumbler. There appears to be two roll pins that need to be removed in order for the key lock mechanism to be separated from the door handle.

If anyone has done this before I'd appreciate any input. Would also like to know what size the roll pins are so I can purchase new ones for reassembly. They look small, I'm guessing 1/16th" at the most but feel it's going to be hard to measure that small a hole to get an accurate measurement. Would these pins even be a domestic size or would they be metric? Thank you.

I haven't done this, but had a set of good used door handles re-keyed to my replacement ignition switch key over in Berkeley. I'm saving them for when I do the body resto. Are roll pins done once removed? You should consider getting new handles with your current key code from Maximillian or your local dealer. Save this project for later if you become bored/when there is that thin slice of time when nothing else is wrong with your car 

Drop me a PM--I did a column on swapping out lock cylinders on door handles, which will have the info you need to dismantle for re-chroming.  

A suggestion on the re-chrome:  those handles are pot metal, so if they have pits, especially in the grooves atop the handles, a plater will have a tough time getting them out, as polishing will destroy the detail.  If that's the case with yours, you might be better off to find better handles and transfer your lock cylinders/push-buttons to the nicer handles.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just did this.  The roll pins can actually be reused if you are careful.

Mike is right on the pot metal front.  I got lucky with mine and they turned out great.  However, the chrome shop was an old hot rod place and really put some love/care into them.

its actually a fun little job to take the assembly apart.  With Mike’s article and some patience, you’ll be fine.

Thank you for the feedback, all good thoughts to consider.

I have a business contact in the Chroming business and they'll do the chroming inexpensively for me. I'd like to keep as many of the original parts as possible and thought this would be a small project to work on once the car goes into the restoration shop and disappears for an extended period of time.