• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pros and Cons of a Hater Pipe

Benjamin A.R.

18 hours ago, theNomad said:

This is a vintage european forum so...

let's not forget Porsche's entry... though the exhaust is not routed to the top.

Image result for porsche tractor

• Like 3

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

26 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Have we advanced (degraded?) sufficiently far that one can actually drive a car with an open exhaust exiting through one’s hood and not be cited?

I never had an issue. I had a city cop give me the thumbs up in passing. Most ignored it. I blew my oil feed a little while back; I was on the side of the road for a bit. 2 highway patrol chargers pulled up behind me. They just wanted to make sure I was ok. I apologized for the oil slick and assured them I'd clean it up before leaving. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Conserv said:

When and where I was in my youthful motorhead phase — the 1970’s in southeast Pennsylvania — an open exhaust exiting through one’s hood was sufficiently illegal and obvious that most cops would have noticed it and cited the owner. So my father would have said, “That sounds like a stupid idea.” and he would have been right.

Have we advanced (degraded?) sufficiently far that one can actually drive a car with an open exhaust exiting through one’s hood and not be cited? I honestly don’t know the answer to that question. My nine years in Georgia, a no-inspection state, showed me that you could, apparently, drive a car, at least occasionally, without doors or a hood. Will cops simply ignore an open exhaust exiting through the hood at this point?

Don’t get me wrong: I believe an exhaust exiting in front of a street car’s windshield is a terrible and un-safe practice. But I’m curious how long one could carry out this practice... ?

Regards,

Steve

OK Beemer..

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Dude I love the hater pipe.  I am seriously considering a fender exit.  Well..... I have had a bit of Christmas cheer, and my hands are black from rebuilding my drivers side caliper, so perhaps I am more exuberant than I should be. 

Please keep the video's coming. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 12/23/2019 at 5:24 PM, Dudeland said:

Dude I love the hater pipe.  I am seriously considering a fender exit.  Well..... I have had a bit of Christmas cheer, and my hands are black from rebuilding my drivers side caliper, so perhaps I am more exuberant than I should be. 

Please keep the video's coming. 

I've considered that route too but I see free hoods more often than I see cheap fenders haha. At the end of the day I think a side pipe is the best compromise. 

And will do!