• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wallace

majdomo

That's a VDO oil pressure sender (aftermarket),unless I miss my guess...

Your staling issue sounds like crud in the fuel tank pickup screen to me. Have you visited the tank yet? Next time see if the carb squirts fuel via accel pump.

GL,

Thanks. I haven’t messed with that at all. I do see fuel movement in the engine bay filters with the car in on (not started) and the fuel pump does fire right up.

I did notice that the stalling tends to happen after driving for some period, not necessarily right away. It happened twice today.

Would I just pull the pickup from the tank directly to clean out the screen? Of course I just put 6 gallons of gas in there to test the gas gauge (which registers right around half a tank).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That component next to your distributor is an aftermarket VDO oil pressure sending unit with a low pressure light.. one side functions like the factory sender. The other terminal goes to a VDO oil pressure gauge. Good thing to have. The ground is through the engine block.
Cheers,
Matt

Thanks guys. This is pretty cool, may want to get the gauge some time later, once I get the stalling issue sorted. That also keeps with the rumor that this was a “hot rod” motor the PO supposedly put in here.

[mention=36452]FunkyLaneO[/mention]  perhaps?

(he's got a speedometer repair video on youtoob).

[mention=32217]KFunk[/mention] possibly?

(that's all I've got)

Tom

My bet is that this last saw the light of day in the Carter administration... but cool to find Easter eggs like this.

I also need to buy a couple of lights and sockets for the cluster, I found at least two busted sockets, little cylinders, VDO marked caps and springs in the tray behind the cluster and empty holes in the back of the circuit board. I’ll just swap them all out while in there, this was one of the first repairs I did on the E30 way back when.

49 minutes ago, majdomo said:

Thanks. I haven’t messed with that at all. I do see fuel movement in the engine bay filters with the car in on (not started) and the fuel pump does fire right up.

I did notice that the stalling tends to happen after driving for some period, not necessarily right away. It happened twice today.

Would I just pull the pickup from the tank directly to clean out the screen? Of course I just put 6 gallons of gas in there to test the gas gauge (which registers right around half a tank).

Your fuel pickup, if not the bolt-in variety, releases by smacking it counter clockwise with an appropriate tool. It's possible the O-ring gasket under it will stop sealing upon removal but maybe less than likely. The screen in the standard pickup is currently NLA so be gentle. I've been running without one but... don't do as I do ;-)

When you lift the pickup, it will drain from 2 drain holes near the bottom. You can raise it and let it drain for a bit before completely removing it.

GL.

• Like 3

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Your fuel pickup, if not the bolt-in variety, releases by smacking it counter clockwise with an appropriate tool. It's possible the O-ring gasket under it will stop sealing upon removal but maybe less than likely. The screen in the standard pickup is currently NLA so be gentle. I've been running without one but... don't do as I do ;-)

When you lift the pickup, it will drain from 2 drain holes near the bottom. You can raise it and let it drain for a bit before completely removing it.

GL.

Cool, thanks. I’ll take a look tomorrow, would be nice if it was an easy fix!

Riddle for the morning - this line with the spade connection is coming off the negative side of the coil, which is spliced together with the yellow lead. The yellow lead goes to the Crane unit, which is in turn grounded right up on the firewall on the passenger side.

Does this need to be plugged in anywhere?

32d1f87db2ec0b9f29c9bcee9f743717.jpg&key=3b8c08c1d43430ceb2e1a3e3df47c0d08dea7c16ec35fbb601477f9645e30e88

Edit - never mind, this was my missing tach connection!

GL.

So i pulled the pickup this afternoon, and the screen was still on the bottom of the inlet but was pulling away from the screen's frame, both on the top and the bottom. I cleaned it out a bit with some brake cleaner, let it sit, and then put it back on. There was a fair amount of rusty crud at the bottom of the tank, but the inside of the tank itself wasn't all rusted so not sure where that rust was coming from. My guess is that at some point, I'll have to pull the tank and have it refinished. However, the filter itself looked like it wasn't full of stuff or anything, it just was not very effective given the fact that it has a big hole where it's pulled away from the screen frame. Is there any way to rebuild or replace these things, even though they're NLA?

Other than that, did some small stuff over the week and today. Replaced the sun visor clips, cleaned the interior some more, replaced the temp sending unit with a new one. Got started on my exhaust fix, which has been fun. The slip connection between the center and rear silencers was completely fused together with rust, so I ended up having to cut the rear silencer, right near the connection, and using a Dremel to loosen up the portion that was left fused to the center silencer section. It finally came off with some persuasion, but now I'm shopping for a 45mm band clamp to put the two parts back together on the car. This is how it's done stock on the E30, so no big deal for the 02 I don't think. Replacing the two crusted, fossilized rubber donuts that hold the muffler to the car while I'm in there, and adjusting where the tailpipe rides so that it won't smack into the rear valance any more.

I'm also trying to replace a couple of light bulbs on the instrument panel, but need the correct socket to replace the two that were busted. Those are $10 each, glad I only need two so far.

Also couldn't resist firing up the car on straight pipes. That sounded pretty awesome, like a big motorcycle. I'm sure the neighbors loved that...

I'm sure half the FAQers here have a drawer full of instrument panel bulb sockets available for almost free ;-)

No idea on a fix for the tank screen. Again, someone must have...

Yeah M10s are LOUD. I did that too! :P

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'm sure half the FAQers here have a drawer full of instrument panel bulb sockets available for almost free ?

No idea on a fix for the tank screen. Again, someone must have...

Yeah M10s are LOUD. I did that too! default_tongue.png

Cheers,

Sockets on the way from a fellow FAQster, so that’s great. Exhaust bits coming next week. Also I finally got around to updating the registry. That took long enough.

Goal for the day, more interior cleaning and degreasing the leaky diff. Looks like I need a new cover gasket, easy enough but I should probably replace the diff mounts while it’s off...

Update - that didn't happen, installed the clutch return spring instead. Split the baby, cut into the foam on the pedal box and removed a small portion to get to the nut. Cleaned out all the crud in the pedal box, checked the bushings and so on, all looked fine. Clutch feels good, nice and solid.

Also got under the driveshaft with the exhaust out to check the gear selector, giubo, etc. I will be needing to do a shifter rebuild for sure, doesn't look like there's a bushing between the selector rod and the shifter itself. Also looks like the output shaft seal on the trans is leaking, so that's on the list. Giubo is in one piece but looks like it was replaced about 30 years ago, just before it went non-op. Should probably replace that, along with the trans mount. CSB is good and solid, no play on the shaft so that's good.

Saw some seepage (oil?) between the block and the head but it looks old. Keeping an eye on it.

Found a big ol' open crack in the driver's seat bottom, so that made my day. In the plus column though was finding Stahl headers on my motor. :)

Edited by majdomo

Progress for today - pulled the diff cover and mounting bracket to install the new diff cover gasket. Turns out, I don't think the gasket was really leaking, because when I opened the fill hole on the diff, a ton of gear oil came spilling out. Gross. There was probably 2 quarts of nasty, swarfy gear oil in the diff, which means that my leak was most likely coming from the vent hole rather than the gasket itself.

Oh well. I came to change a diff gasket, and that's what's going to happen! Spent a bunch of time cleaning gunk off the diff mount and cover, a little Gasgacinch on the mounting surfaces, some new Lucas 75-90 and was back in business.

Also bought a rear view mirror to replace the crumbling one in the cabin, so that was installed. And I tried to get at the bushings in the shifter, but couldn't push the pin out of the hole even after loosening up the little bolt that holds it in. With the driveshaft in place, I just couldn't get a good angle at pushing it out with some Channel Locks. I'll wait until I get enough parts together to redo the giubo and the trans seal, and will tackle it with the driveshaft and exhaust out. I reinstalled my exhaust, bracket clamp worked like a charm with the new rubber donut doohickeys. No more tailpipe smacking into the rear facia!

Test drove for the first time with the driver's side window rolled up, which was nice. I think the big issue with stalling out earlier was the electronic fuel pump electrical - I now have it wired up to the spare spade connection I found under my dash, which means that I'm no longer sharing voltage for the pump with the electronic ignition unit. I recall that each time it stalled out, I didn't hear the fuel pump running, but we'll see with time.

Next project is suspension and bushings. It is way, way floaty right now and lots of weird banging and rattling coming from the under the car when driving.

• Like 1

This is the lamest post ever, but...

Went to the grocery store

62224cf973e3f3592cc1d75cb72fb762.jpg

And bought some groceries

238afa3dc902f6e9950a1f7a5d785632.jpg

And had zero issues. Temp gauge works, came up about 1/4 of the gauge off dead cold, so that is awesome. Tach, speedo, gas, lights, etc all good.

Next up, dropping some coin on suspension and bushings!

• Like 7