majdomo

Wallace

155 posts / 11781 viewsLast Reply

After months of waiting, wondering, thinking this would be a scam or fall through or generally not happen, this turned up today:

43f2bf8ecbe67029d521baad67425573.jpg&key=24a920fe2901be5b5955b3920f1bbdf704c8a9e76006be329bf8e48adc430ddb

6d881539ebf3295a10c21ea84f5e87ec.jpg&key=32ad6ad9c3ca93b0e64a80df8fbe5712255b2a6378662c27368c6e22eec5ad92

We name cars in our family, so the tradition continues with the 02. With it being Christmas and all, I suggested Bob Wallace to my 8-year old son, who just said “I like just Wallace.” So he is.

So far, no brakes or clutch and the fluid reservoir is dry, which suggests that we need to flush and bleed as a first order of business. Next, driver’s side window is rolled down, and the crank doesn’t do anything. Body - passenger door, trunk lid, and rear panel are all not original. Looks like Agave on the underside of the trunk, and some odd canary yellow on the door. Rust that I can see is all topside. Rockers look solid. Hood and front fenders look original. Ok. Starts and idles great, though, but the muffler is smacking into the lower rear valance. Easy fix, I think.

b091619d3fc3ab65f086f90c21cb395b.jpg&key=bcb5f28e67b5f207fa5f8f8abac95e3e3a7739a45c66e37c9a2bfd64019018a4

Numbers-matching engine is mounted on the stand, sans head and intake (no idea...) Needs tires, probably shocks, leaky looking crud on the diff, no driveline noise from the 5 feet we drove it into the garage. That probably means nothing. A few minor headliner tears but the interior is in good shape for a 50 year old car. Some dash cracks but nothing that bugs me for now. Steve said the Polaris / Navy combo was one of the best, and I’m inclined to agree. Need to get some headrest covers, but seats are in good order. Not the most supportive things, are they?

What else...electrical works, fan doesn’t, it has a Frigiking and a Blaupunkt radio cassette that works and looks period correct but may be aftermarket. The compressor is still hanging off the old block.

Oh, and a trunk full of other stuff...including the most excellent, awesome blue binder shop manual from BMW. Score!!!! Hub caps. Trim bits. More books. Cans of old paint. A gas can. All the goodies.

5a1cfb95135f0c1a99739efa43961d2e.jpg&key=90b0aeeb4612f759bf172b5e4e6491fdc91660748a81280947e4c06ef58af767

94fc077ea0965f662994282e086df322.jpg&key=cd12e795580f8785e7c9de60defebdcf916fe0fe5e901909437a8eb24b51ec8f

Plenty more to come, but I leave you with this. I’ve never had one of these, but the fact that this car still looks and operates the way it does, being through all the crap it’s been through, is a testament to its build quality and the life it’s led. Putting the hood back down, I pushed down expecting the familiar click of the latch like every other car I’ve ever owned. When it didn’t come, I finally figured out that I had to push the latch back down inside the car to lock the hood down. It has the resistance and precision you guys have all come to know and expect, but experiencing that for the first time was pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 14

Congrats! so that's what failed Polaris looks like.  So there's a working engine in the car, and the original on the stand?  Blue books, blue plates, beltline in the trunk, Hella license plate lights,  all great stuff. 

• Like 1

Congrats! so that's what failed Polaris looks like.  So there's a working engine in the car, and the original on the stand?  Blue books, blue plates, beltline in the trunk, Hella license plate lights,  all great stuff. 

Yeah, and not only that but this is the failed respray. The engine in the car is working great, dual Webers and a rumored hot cam... but who knows for now. Original is on the stand, very crusty and will be sitting a while until I get my feet under me with the car.

The trunk was like a treasure chest. I spotted the blue shop manual from other photos before I bought it, the rest will find a home in the garage...somewhere.

Minor update - car is registered and taken off non-op as of an hour ago! I have lame modern plates until I can get over to the DMV to transfer over the blue ones.

I know the feeling! We name our cars as well. Otto has been with us for two years now and Heinrich showed up yesterday.
Awesome score with the blue binder.
Have fun!

• Like 1

Looks like the blue book is for nk sedans most of the mechanical info will transfer to the 02 though, looks like a fun project and trunk treasure hunts are great.

• Like 1

OK. All good! Now get back to sortin’ and cleanin’! ?

Congrats!

(From the factory, the front fenders were brazed to the nosepiece and the seams leaded, but only the short top front seams, those above the side grilles. Your top front seams, however, are open (first two photos). So the front fenders of your car have been off the car. Whether the same front fenders went back onto the car is a different story. The front fenders have always been lightening rods for rust. Below, the third and fourth photos show the re-done seams on my ‘76: right front fender replaced twice, left front replaced once. And nosepiece replaced once.)

Regards,

Steve

457B2DD1-5047-44A8-9DF7-9CB5A4FDF3DE.jpeg

F6293AB8-E718-4502-B058-408577D96649.jpeg

D7942EE3-18F1-4B3C-A1B8-115E06AC9D3E.jpeg

87E4CC24-FF6F-4102-A5BC-23B1A3807597.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 4

Nice score.  Looks like you've got the best of both worlds--a running and potentially driveable car with (hopefully) minimal work, and an original engine to rebuild at your leisure.  When you get ready for repairing the driver's door lift mechanism, PM me, as I did a column on repair 'em without having to buy new.  I can also provide advice on repainting the hood and trunk roundels.

But you have to tell me:  who is Bob Wallace and what does he have to do with Christmas (no kids, so if it's a kids story I'm not familiar with it)

Cheers, and welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority

mike (I name my cars too)

17 hours ago, majdomo said:

Next, driver’s side window is rolled down, and the crank doesn’t do anything.

• Like 2

Nice score.  Looks like you've got the best of both worlds--a running and potentially driveable car with (hopefully) minimal work, and an original engine to rebuild at your leisure.  When you get ready for repairing the driver's door lift mechanism, PM me, as I did a column on repair 'em without having to buy new.  I can also provide advice on repainting the hood and trunk roundels.

But you have to tell me:  who is Bob Wallace and what does he have to do with Christmas (no kids, so if it's a kids story I'm not familiar with it)

Cheers, and welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority

mike (I name my cars too)

Thanks Mike! The window is going to be second only to getting the car to stop and shift, a fresh can of DOT 4 is waiting on my workbench for later this morning. I’ll probably get going on that right after Christmas.

Bob Wallace is Bing Crosby’s character in White Christmas. He’s a little crusty, a little curmudgeonly, but a good guy who does the right thing. My since-departed 2013 335i 6MT M Sport was named Betty Haynes, after a wholesomely-hot Rosemary Clooney from the same movie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majdomo said:

Bob Wallace is Bing Crosby’s character in White Christmas.

So that was the 1954 movie "White Christmas" and not the 1942 movie "Holiday Inn" that actually introduced the song to the silver screen.  I've seen 'em both, but it was a looooong time ago.  

Lemme know about the window lift mechanism...

mike

• Like 1

Day 1 progress:

- Trunk treasure chest sorted, then down and dirty cleaning under the spare. Have a whole box of parts for the air cleaner on the original motor. Surface rust but that's about it. It did have some weird rat's nest looking crud underneath and - yup - very old rodent poo. Guessing there's more elsewhere in the car, so I have that to look forward to.

- Found a BMW tool kit wrapped in a vinyl case. I have no idea if the '02 came with one, but this looks pretty complete. It could also have come from another car.

- Pulled the E30 basketweaves down from the rafters. Tires are a little old, but will work for just going around the block. Brake / clutch flush tomorrow.

- Most important, CCA grille badge is on the car.

Also found the Tightening torques spreadsheet, wish I had that for my E30! +1000 for the FAQ!

Dinner party time!

Edited by majdomo
  • Like 1

Day 2 sort out - brake and clutch flush complete, car is back on the road! Round the block, anyway...

377a4850285dff13529b1c8e0919c3f2.jpg

wth with the extra tiny reservoir?? Brakes are very hard to operate, slow the car down very slowly. Wondering if this may be a master cylinder / booster thing or a pad / rotor / shoe / drum thing. Will replace and adjust the brake parts first given that they look like extra rusty before hitting the master cylinder and booster. However, I say this without knowing what normal is like in this car. But it shouldn’t feel like my dad’s ‘63 Le Mans, which is what this feels like.

PO did me a solid on soft lines, repeated in the front for both plus remanufactured calipers. I have replacement rotors ready to go and one new drum. Apparently he lost the second new one somewhere, so whatever. Rotors are super rusty though, so those will get swapped out once I figure out how.
5ab19f0a37b52e53731f786db23b630e.jpg

Clutch is fine, but makes a weird “click” off and on when pushing it down. Reverse and 1st are good, slight grinding into 2nd, then 3rd and 4th are fine. Suggests maybe a bad 2nd gear synchro? May be just me sucking at driving this car for now? Not sure.

Instrument panel - speedo and odometer work. Nothing else does though. So that’s on the list.

For today, though, just going to spend some quality time with a rag and some cleaner to get the (literal) cobwebs out of the car. Some more pics.
222d79f47e6a50d574933436ce4bc8f8.jpg

8e17858e57fa3676488b3bf4dbe2cac0.jpg

8a21e8a752ee35f8b9672ba201e30157.jpg406399535c40a6415f68a87289ed0b64.jpg

• Like 1

Every used 2002 comes with a bad 2nd gear syncro for free!!

If that's the complete stock tool kit that's a good bonus

that mangled drivers headrest is interesting....

Edited by iinca
  • Like 3