• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT Washington State ends emission testing

Son of Marty

When I stopped by to pick up my tabs they had a big sign saying the program ends Jan 1 2020 because all areas in the state meet the clean air act and the state has no legal standing to continue the tests. Doesn't effect 2002's but most people have newer cars have needed testing.?

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I dont own anything new enough to need emissions in WA lol! 

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I didn't realize the OBD2 test was going away.

2020 is the 25 year threshold for OBD1 cars...

t

lives outside the emissions zone anyway.

Also outside the Sound Transit Cash Grab Region

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Washington has never done visual inspection, don't know if they will start now but doubt they'll start, I'm looking forward to the state auctioning off 250 chassis dyno at once they will probably set the value at 100 bucks or less. 

Marty, who suddenly needs more shop space.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

11 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Huhh? please elaborate. 

A few years ago, perhaps five or six, not sure, when I took my car in per the "smog check required" notice on the registration renewal, the tech popped the hood, took a close look at everything visually and said I was good to go.  He didn't even start the engine.  Needless to say, I was surprised.

They no longer did the sniffer test, he said, nor the dyno runs they had implemented for a while.  I'm not sure why the change.

Here in north CA, a smog tech informed me that they only dyno and sniff OBD1 vehicles and earlier (back to '76). OBD2 vehicles store historical data, so they get a computer check and a fairly quick visual check only. The test device downloads stored data from the vehicle that the computer software analyzes for uncorrected faults. The vehicle didn't even need to be running during the test. Quick and relatively painless, unless something's wrong I suppose.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Was about to say, never hooked any of my OBD1 rigs to a chassis dyno in WA. Lots of sniffers on those though. Also ran the OBD2 port. 

Funny story, cut the most likely bad Cat off my folks truck a year ago (94 big block Chev). Said run it and see what emissions says when it comes up, full well knowing I'd have to put a Cat on it. Old man calls me after he gets back this year, passed sniffer with flying colors! I was shocked.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

When their computer asked my computer if everything was ok, mine just replied "sure, everything is JUST FINE"  when they said I passed I did have to stifle a wide eyed REALLY?!  I fully expected to spend 4-5 hours putting things back and going back for a re-test.  James T. Kirk is my mentor. 

• Haha 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC