• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

re-finishing / matching black door handles?

Geoff Raynak

hey everyone ...

we are busy working on buttoning up the black interior for Verona.

95% done ... 95% to go!

we just got new door cards from Aardvarc (awesome) ...

but that now makes our door handles look a bit ragged.

are there strategies to clean them up?

we've used mild soap and goof off ... but they are still 'old' relative to the door cards

there are no cracks or bad wear on them

the DS is missing the front cover ... but mostly complete otherwise.

is there a good (long lasting) dye or coloring (OR OTHER METHOD) that can be used to match them to the cards?

many thanks everyone!

geoff

image.thumb.png.83e2c5b163c4bbc59a83c4b17cfa0315.png

image.thumb.png.6bbd996c7d2927e5fad038d98e9a71ae.png

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

The door cards look nice.  SEM products  work well as a spray. I use with the adhesion promoter for best results.

Concern would be matching well with the door cards.  With new cards I would pay a upholstery shop to die and match the the new cards. I've had dye work done before and some are pretty talented out their. Project creep but done well ,done right on a high use item.  

• Like 1

I really like the SEM Color Coat spray. Landau Black is great for interior pieces. Not too shiny or dull.

For parts that will see a bit of contact like seats and door pulls, I also recommend the adhesion promoter. You may be able to find them at your local auto parts store but I just order them from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3HXS8A/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_K8KEDbKJQ3TJQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VTSRZ8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_d8KEDbHHR5VP8

1974 BMW 2002 (in progress)

1987 Porsche 911 (mostly complete)

Blog: Broken Boomerang

On 9/12/2019 at 10:00 AM, pato2002 said:

I really like the SEM Color Coat spray. Landau Black is great for interior pieces. Not too shiny or dull.

For parts that will see a bit of contact like seats and door pulls, I also recommend the adhesion promoter. You may be able to find them at your local auto parts store but I just order them from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3HXS8A/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_K8KEDbKJQ3TJQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VTSRZ8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_d8KEDbHHR5VP8

Is the SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter OK for Vinyl?

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

1 hour ago, xr4tic said:

Is the SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter OK for Vinyl?

I think you'll be okay, I tried to check with my Son what he used with the SEM.  He did a older DSM Eagle from gray to black.

He spayed almost everything. Daily drove it in his 20's for a couple more years and it still looked pretty good. trust me he's hard on stuff.

I did some touring pieces in the back tail of my e39 interior and it looks factory two years later. 

Yes. The plastic adhesion promoter works great on vinyl. I used it on my rear seats going from blue to black. Also on some door panel trim on other car. Great finish. Very flexible but time will tell on abrasion resistance. Online reviews are good but take that for what it’s worth. 

1974 BMW 2002 (in progress)

1987 Porsche 911 (mostly complete)

Blog: Broken Boomerang