• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using GL-5 on borg warner synchros fine splinned tranny.

I've seen here in the board before that you can use GL-5 on a borg warner fine splinned tranny. Just can't find it anymore. Is there any truth to this? Looking for something locally for GL-4 is a treasure hunt. If not i'll just use HD 40wt until i can place an order online for mtl80. Thanks in advance...

No treasure map required.

spacer.png

If you believe what is printed, Mobil1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W90 has a GL5 rating, but allegedly is safe and even protects yellow metals. 

Excellent rust, staining and corrosion protection of copper and its alloys.   https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/lubricants/products/mobil-1-syn-gear-lube-ls-75w90

That said, there are plenty of other alternatives, from Amsoil, Redline and even the ubiquitous Staylube.

Amsoil:

Answer: Yes. As long as temperatures don’t exceed 250°F (121°C), all AMSOIL automotive gear oils are safe to use in drive train applications with yellow metals. Check the AMSOIL on-line look-up guide at www.amsoil.com for specific questions. https://www.amsoil.com/frequent.aspx

" Less Slippery Low Sulfur Formula Compatible With Brass Synchronizers "

spacer.png]spacer.png

Edited by Roland

My 73 had the B-W synchro tranny, as does the E21 5 speed, and I've been using Red Line MTL for many years with no problems.  The 4 speed was definitely notchy--noticeably more so than the Porsche-synchro gearbox in my '69, but switching to MTL cured the notchiness completely.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, TG2k2 said:

What’s all the talk about 3 and 4-ball load tests...?

Std test for load capability.

But if it'a about you, I dunno.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.