• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for clean roof in PNW / West Coast

Mucci

58 minutes ago, Simeon said:

30 minutes with a DA sander and some #80 discs would sort any of those roof panels out. 

Mine looks decent from the top, but on the underside it's flaking off in chunks. This is why I ask.

D713AE56-1B94-49A3-8710-BFDEF92D3F1E.thu

Edited by Mucci

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

3 hours ago, Mucci said:

Mine looks decent from the top, but on the underside it's flaking off in chunks. This is why I ask.

D713AE56-1B94-49A3-8710-BFDEF92D3F1E.thu

I would treat that with a rust converter after a good wire brush (a twisted strand brush in and angle grinder would be good) and the paint with a 2 pack epoxy primer to seal it. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

5 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

I think I would attempt to clean that up also. Tyvek suit, face shield mask and a grinder. Be a dirty job can be done.

Maybe more pics of inside of roof. How stripped down is the rest of the car ?

Mucci showed some exterior photos of his car’s roof in another thread.  I believe there were already pinholes popping through in multiple places.... ?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The interior is mostly gutted aside from the dash. I haven't yet stripped the roof (and the previous owner flat blacked it) but you can see just behind the sunroof it's bubbling up. I'm not sure yet how bad it is under there. 

spacer.png

BD010933-6848-4410-8DDF-5EF93EA4D1C1.thu

1AC3ACC1-F87F-4B07-BB66-6D10B455DC76.thu

Edited by Mucci

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

12 hours ago, 2002iii said:

That doesn't look that bad and there's only one way to find out strip the paint and rust and see what's left.

+1 to this. I would clean it up and size the job before getting into a roof replacement. A few pin holes can be drilled out to clean them up and then plug welded closed with a chunk of copper on the inside to prevent heat distortion and support the weld. If the holes are confined to the section near the roof opening then I would even consider cutting a patch as the frame underneath will limit distortion. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

21 hours ago, tech71 said:

This is why I don't care for sunroofs on 45-year-old cars here in the rainy PNW.

Fixed that!  Let’s be honest: these cars are at least 30 years past their expected lives...

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)