• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ethanol Fuel treatment study

jhenard

And it stinks.  And why is it a good idea to make a food product into gasoline?!  Oh, that's right, money.

There's a local place that has 91 non-ethanol gasoline on tap, and the big new place on the highway, Maverick, has regular test non-ethanol gasoline on tap as well...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

22 hours ago, mike said:

Just as an observation...I've been using ethanol-adulterated gasoline ever since it was foisted off on the public, and have yet to have a noticeable problem, except for measurably lower gas mileage (not surprising, given ethanol's lower BTUs/gallon than gasoline).  And my cars sit for months at a time...no gas tank rust, to problems with deteriorating rubber diaphragms, gaskets etc...what am I doing wrong?

mike 

Try it in your lawn mower, chain saw, and snow blower.  

That's where I find it to be a corrosive clogging agent.

t

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hi all, over here in the uk they have just announced that they intend to make our fuel 10% bio, which is up from the current 5%... im just wondering what sort of products that are not yet available here that would be worth importing to combat the issues caused by alcohol. does anyone know if tiis are effected more than the carburated models? 

Cheers, Lee

16 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I grew up in Iowa.  Cornfields at the edge of my backyard when I was little.  Back when these cars were new!

848077446_Iowaethanolcorn.thumb.jpg.acde7c15cbec240ac03877b551a1e7b8.jpg

I go out of my way to buy ethanol free gasoline for not much more money than the tainted kind.
More BTUs, as Mike pointed out.  More HorsePower.  Better Mileage.  It smells better too.

As I understand it, with real gasoline water sits on the bottom.  With corny gas it blends in.  Watery gas must have even fewer BTUs swimming around in it.  How watery is it when you buy it?

I notice a difference in how my car idles and pulls, depending on the fuel that I use.  I've driven away from a 10% pump disappointed in the effect and promised myself to go back to the clean gas next fill up.  Just filled it today, as a matter of fact.  Delicious 87 Octane Pure Gasoline.

The differences are subtle, when it comes to noticing them.  It'd be fun to put a T in the fuel line and switch back and forth, between the car's tank and another one for comparison.  (Sort of like the switch I have to turn the distributor pod's vacuum signal off and on).  

Back to the original topic, what are these additives supposed to be doing?  Drying out watery gasoline? 

I thought they allowed more water to be dissolved into the gas, so it will be burned up, instead of pooling and causing the problems Jimk mentions. 

Once Ethanolized Gas has reached the saturation limit, it will allow water to pool under it as well, right?

Then you pour in one of those two additives, so it can absorb even more?

IMHO, corn is for tortillas, not engines.

068.thumb.JPG.d6f7ed9267bc85d5350ffe845d822993.JPG

(what's that spell?)

045.thumb.JPG.8565a7b19cacc8e21c2645bfbc67c340.JPG

Mmmmm masa

046.thumb.JPG.762192548adda93f0ded21777923f938.JPG

You grew up??

?

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

15 hours ago, irdave said:

And it stinks.  And why is it a good idea to make a food product into gasoline?!  Oh, that's right, money.

There's a local place that has 91 non-ethanol gasoline on tap, and the big new place on the highway, Maverick, has regular test non-ethanol gasoline on tap as well...

Well, to be clear, Ethanol used in fuel is created from corn that was never meant to be on the table for us to eat, it's a bi-product from cattle feed. 

Not saying its not great for older vehicles that don't have the fuel systems to handle it. At the engine machine shop I work at we sell our customers Driven Carb Defender to combat ethanol fuels sitting in their carb cars too long.

https://www.drivenracingoil.com/carb-defender-ethanol-fuel-additive.html

• Like 1

1971 BMW 2002 Sahara

3 minutes ago, tedwardcairns said:

Well, to be clear, Ethanol used in fuel is created from corn that was never meant to be on the table for us to eat, it's a bi-product from cattle feed. 

And feeding cattle is a whole 'nother issue regarding sustainability...

Man.  I'm getting grump in my old age.  Although my friend says I've been grumpy the whole time...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

3 hours ago, irdave said:

And feeding cattle is a whole 'nother issue regarding sustainability...

Man.  I'm getting grump in my old age.  Although my friend says I've been grumpy the whole time...

Not to get off topic here, but yeah, the way we raise cattle right now isn't sustainable

1971 BMW 2002 Sahara