• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ADS PQ10 BT adapter (power source and amp placement ?)

M5280RCR

Old school tech question. I have an old ADS PQ10 that use to be in my '76 BMW 2002. I now have another '73 Tii and am wondering if I can skip installing a headunit and just use the PQ10 with some sort of bluetooth adapter to power my speakers and stream music from my phone. Any thoughts if there is an adapter on the market that would make this work? If so, any link, or info, is appreciated.  TIA.

pq10.png

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

The amp remote on is just a +12v. So you can just use a regular toggle if you want to. 

The only amp I have ever owned were it wasn't 12v was an old pioneer (1980's) , which looked for a load between two terminals, so I just put a 12v light, and a regular trigger wire. 

The internet is wonderful,  it was this one. 

image.thumb.png.d197545b24f876c616233eeb0daddbac.png 

Edited by Dudeland
Walk down memory lane.

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Very nice! A/D/S amps were among the best. My first 02 had a stack of them (the car was previously owned by a car audio enthusiast) powering several A/D/S IB subs and components mounted in the rear shelf and [unfortunately] the front door cards. Great quality amps that will last forever.

To answer your question... I have used the JL Audio B/T adapter with good results in the past. I never had any issues with connectivity (this was probably 2-3 iPhone versions ago). You’ll likely need a power trigger (unless the amp has a line trigger) as was mentioned previously.

Here is the link to the adapter:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-K4lXoO2uBGP/p_13691126/JL-Audio-MBT-RX.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=79438365495&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=65372638345&awdv=m&awug=9003440&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9JzoBRDjARIsAGcdIDW-CD0ruQ7uUsCzo_OAnsW7wqgB4hbzof6Lq1GtFvb_8zSZoIMo9_4aAuRYEALw_wcB

Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I simply use one of these little doohickies and an old sony mofset amp and 2 6x9s on the back shelf - sounds brilliant and nothing to see except my iphone

https://headfonics.com/2018/04/fiio-btr1-review/https://headfonics.com/2018/04/fiio-btr1-review/

I would definitely look at this if you are looking for BT connectivity and want to improve sound quality. Having a DAC in-line like that can make a huge difference in sound quality and will allow you to play better quality music files (e.g., FLAC, WAV, AAC, etc.). Also, FiiO is a reputable company known for their digital audio players (which, like the BT adapter, also have high-end DACs).

• 3 weeks later...

So, I finally got the BT adapter and it all works but have yet to permanently install. I am thinking of installing the amp under the back seat, drivers seat, or in the trunk.  Any thoughts on best placement (I am concerned about heat if under the rear seat).  Also, I am not much of an electrician and am waiting for a friend to come over to help find a power source that is powerful enough and only hot when the car is on.  I am lazy and trying not to have to run power to the front of the car, is there any power source in the rear I can use (maybe rear taillights)?  

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

• M5280RCR changed the title to ADS PQ10 BT adapter (power source and amp placement ?)