• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miller & Norburn Springs Advice/HELP needed

SaharaX2

17 minutes ago, SaharaX2 said:

Thanks Paul,
Beautiful photo.
Emily set the standard that all our cars aspire to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awww shucks.... thank you!

I never did get the interior as nice as it should have been. It was more fun to build than it was to own. Lesson learned!

Body by Matt McGinn and Co at Sports Car Restoration in Connecticut. Loaded with more unique tweaks and Euro spec parts than I can list these days....and now the car appears to be lost. No-one's seen it for years. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

That’s sad.
Hopefully Emily will see the light of day, someday as someone’s “barnfind” with a bunch of dust or hay all over and she has been sitting on a concrete pad. That would give Emily some nice patina for the next generation. We can only hope!

• Like 1

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car

Spring Coils diameter measure as below:
LF 13.62mm, RF 13.58mm
LR 13.58mm, RR 13.37mm
Not sure these numbers are significant enough to change springs front to rear.

All spring height’s are the same.

Any ideas for raising the rear to match the front?

Thanks,
Frank

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)

My curiosity got the better of me and I did a search for the catalog and found a few interesting things.

go here for a copy of the catalog, but you will have to register:

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/alpinaboard-com-bmw-alpina-discussion/412946-miller-norburn-alpina-catalog-circa-1983-a.html

I didn't do that, but maybe it will have what you want, please post for us.

And look at the cars in the photos and what strikes me is that they seem to all be lower in the rear, so your car may "period correct" with those springs.

https://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/photo/Russ-Norburn-USA.html

I am sure that if you search Alpina parts in the U.S. of the era you will get more M&N information.

Cheers!

I had the same problem on some aftermarket springs I have on one of my cars. I've been told they are old H & Rs, but I'm not sure. I installed 3 dot spacers at the rear, and it no longer sags. The rear is now slightly higher than the front, like the stock rake.

Slavs

Edited by Slavs

Thanks Chris & Slavs.

Yes the rear end low appears to be the standard characteristic of Miller and Norburn springs.

Now I need to get s set of 3 dot upper mounts to even things out as much as possible and call it quits. The car drives very nicely and corners well.

“If it’s not broke, don’t try to fix it!”

Frank

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)

• 1 year later...

Older thread, I know. 
I have a set of springs that, when I acquired them a number of years back, I was told they were either H&R or Suspension Techniques, I believe. 
I have suspected them to be Miller & Norburn due in part to the gold color. 
Can anyone tell me about these springs? Is there a way to identify them for sure? Are they progressive rate? Good for street use? Recommendations for shock/strut to pair with them? 
Thanks!

3 hours ago, Mark in PA said:

Older thread, I know. 
I have a set of springs that, when I acquired them a number of years back, I was told they were either H&R or Suspension Techniques, I believe. 
I have suspected them to be Miller & Norburn due in part to the gold color. 
Can anyone tell me about these springs? Is there a way to identify them for sure? Are they progressive rate? Good for street use? Recommendations for shock/strut to pair with them? 
Thanks!

FWIW: The M&N springs I used (documented with original M&N invoice ...yadda yadda) were black in color. I think (some older ST stuff?)  was gold though...as I've seen gold aftermarket sway bars on an E21. Never on a 2002 before though.

Paul Wegweiser

Not much help here....but, M&N made two different spring sets for o2's, they made a 'touring' set and a 'sport' set.  They were linear springs, not progressive.  The sport set I had were really short, they dropped the car almost 2.5".  Not sure on this but I want to say gthe fronts and backs were dimensionally the same, or very close.  As Paul mentioned they were painted black.  They were good springs but gave you a bit of a rough ride.  I didn't care back then.  Somewhere I have some M&N brochure that has some mention of them but I don't think any pictures or specific details. If i find it, I will post it.

• Like 1

Good morning as a heads up I thought I would let y’all know that SaharaX2, Mr. Frank Roseberry, a good friend of mine and army buddy unexpectedly passed away in May. He was with his family in Cancun when He suffered a massive heart attack.

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

1 hour ago, Emyers said:

Good morning as a heads up I thought I would let y’all know that SaharaX2, Mr. Frank Roseberry, a good friend of mine and army buddy unexpectedly passed away in May. He was with his family in Cancun when He suffered a massive heart attack.

Very sorry to hear. Please accept my condolences.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I remember Frank as a kind hearted customer many moons ago - late 1990s - early 2000s. I am saddened to hear of his passing. 

May all those who loved him be at peace. 

• Thanks 1

Paul Wegweiser