• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shorty header with elbows like a runway model

jturner

Another day, another post about parts.

Just got this header in the mail... I was expecting a single bent pipe for each runner, or at least smooth joint transitions. I’ve seen used examples on the forum and they don’t look like this to me.

What do you make of this? I can’t imagine those hard angles will flow well.

046e3bfa3fc252f2730af1a83b1e7b12.jpg

48f17f6d6362973ace27a4ebc6d47750.jpg

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

13 minutes ago, halboyles said:

I don't know where you bought that botched mess.  It looks like the stuff we hacked together in the first year welding class at the local junior college.

It's a new IE shorty header.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

I'm having a hell of a time getting parts. I bought everything I needed for a sidedraft install and the only thing I haven't returned is the BMW water neck. I've returned the carbs twice.. so far!

• Sad 1

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

5 hours ago, jturner said:

I'm having a hell of a time getting parts. I bought everything I needed for a sidedraft install and the only thing I haven't returned is the BMW water neck. I've returned the carbs twice.. so far!

Bummer. I'm thinking of doing a sidedraft install too. Where did you get your carbs & why did you need to return them? Not looking forward to the hassles that I've heard of.

51 minutes ago, man_mark_7 said:

Bummer. I'm thinking of doing a sidedraft install too. Where did you get your carbs & why did you need to return them? Not looking forward to the hassles that I've heard of.

I got mine at Pierce, who I have no problem recommending. Just pick someone who will stand behind the carbs, not an Amazon vendor, etc. since there might be some back and forth. There doesn't seem to be any way around that dance.

They're probably poorly QC'd at the factory, and I'd imagine vendors don't do much QCing themselves (or else I wouldn't have to keep sending them back).

My issue has been progression holes. Since a pair of venturis shares a throttle shaft, they need to reveal the progression holes in unison. Pierce has sent me 3 carbs so far and I've kept 1. I'm waiting on another round. Which is fine because the intake manifold also needs to be sent back.

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

I'm sorry.... but that part you have there... is not the part they have on their website.(where I got the below image)

I'd consider buying the below part... What you have is just garbage.

Just look at the difference between the #3 runner. 

Shorty Header - 2002/E21

Also interesting... it describes that all mild steel headers are shipped with black paint/coating for corrosion protection that burns off. I see no coating whatsoever. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 1

surely that wasn't new from Ireland?

for those looking for sidedrafts there's a great 02 enthusiast who makes his living selling recon carbs out of the UK. His pricing is very reasonable. No idea if postage will be a killer, but I doubt it - you'll have to PM him off the UK forum:

Steve, aka 911ts3 on this forum, is the owner of SR Classic Motorsport in Yorkshire. He's a fellow enthusiast and a great guy to source your carbs. Generally sells cleaned and overhauled carbs that he's happy to jet for your application (and happy to help you decide what that is). In my experience he's knowledgeable, helpful and professional.

You can private message him here from his profile page:

http://www.02forum.co.uk/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4887

• Like 2

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

20 hours ago, jturner said:

It's a new IE shorty header.

I'd give Ireland a call.  That is not the quality I normally associate with them.  I bet its a defect that slipped through quality control.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Hard to call that 'defective'. That's intentionally half-assed... haha.

They list them as being produced in SoCal... So I wonder if they're having a shop make them, and they're shipping directly from the fabricator? 

Would explain how something like that could slip by... I can't imagine a scenario where someone at IE would happily put that in a box to a customer. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 2