• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone have AC and regret it? Anyone rip it out? Anyone

Seth Horwitz

Does anyone have AC and regret it? Anyone rip it out? Anyone need it?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. I've seen a few happy customers, but others have overheating or lost power. So ...

• Love my AC!
    • Hate it / Ripped it Out / Wouldn't Add it for Free

My rule has been +89’ and I don’t drive the 02, that meant 4 months parked last year, A/C going in 

New Clardy style ICEAC

new factory fan

new factory fan shroud 

AF9A656E-6275-4DBD-8837-02B3578378F1.thumb.jpeg.9171b9f98d4c5b01afc226a9e3fd9583.jpeg

Edited by chargin
  • Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

5 minutes ago, chargin said:

My rule has been +89’ and I don’t drive the 02, that meant 4 months parked last year, A/C going in 

AF9A656E-6275-4DBD-8837-02B3578378F1.thumb.jpeg.9171b9f98d4c5b01afc226a9e3fd9583.jpeg

This is my position too. I have driven it for years in hot climates but it is getting harder and harder. The move to Sydney from Adelaide also makes the average speed lower so I can’t rely on lowering the windows and blasting along. 

For me it is about the long term usability of the car as turning up places soaked in sweat gets old pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Yeah im in Texas. My car would be parked 8 months a year if i didnt have AC.

I love my AC, not sure why i would even consider tearing it out.

A properly setup car will not overheat. If you are overheating, its not the AC fault, its because you have a tired radiator, crusty water hoses or a tired water pump.

Yes the AC draws alittle power when turned on, but almost no power when turned off, so if you need every horse power for a spirited drive, just leave it turned off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Northern Colorado here.  The m2 had AC, I just ripped it out.  Probably would have worked really good as it's from the e30m3.  There are a few days here each year that it would be nice, but it's just so much extra crap in the car for a couple of days a year...  So I usually tint the windows, which helps a ton, and when it's really hot I leave the dog at home.

So I'm with Esty, I ripped it out and am not looking back.  And other cars.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

4 minutes ago, ray_ said:

And I may install whatever the latest heat-blocking window film is. Ceramic still?

Cheers,

I don't know.  I think anything makes a noticeable difference.  But it makes a huge difference, especially up here.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I think this gets complicated for these cars for a bunch of reasons. 

1. These cars weren't designed for AC from the factory. This leads to both installation and possible vehicle performance issues. 
  2. Dealer installed AC seems to help, when needed, but the car is still a fish bowl that gets hot, even with the AC in those circumstances. 
  3. There are several different units that were installed, so going apples to apples is really tough. (Just speaking functionally. I think one looks better than another. Other people will differ in opinion.)
  4. We have a few different climates within the U.S.
  5. The 2002 seems to range in use from daily driver to fourth car for owners, based on this forum. For the former, climate control can be very important, but for the latter you can just grab a different car if you need to. 

Keep the responses coming. Any datapoint helps, even if it's becoming more and more clear that there will never be a consensus. 

Seth