jometz

Odometer/Trip Odometer fix

6 posts / 992 viewsLast Reply

Hi all, the odometer and trip odometer on my '76 are inop.  Speedometer works fine so cable is good.  Anyone have recommendation on how these can be fixed?  Not a big deal but I like everything to work.  Thanks for any help.

Jack

I had some success in fixing the odometer.  The gear on the end of the shaft can come loose.  Here is a couple of tricks to fix it, if that`s your problem.  Also check the screws that hold the number assembly together.  Maybe something else has worked its way loose and only needs tightening.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/183212-more-on-speedoodometer-repair/

If that odometer gear is broken or you're unsuccessful super gluing it to its shaft, drop the folks at Odometergears.com an e-mail and describe the problem.  They make excellent quality replacement gears, and will provide instructions on installation along with the gears.

cheers

mike

• Like 1

I did the above fixes and they worked for a while. Them I'd have to do it again. The good part is you get really good at it, cluster out in 2 minutes, apart in 3 more, back in the car in 2 minutes more. no way you can do that on a 911, say ! In the end, I paid the piper and had Hartmut at Palo alto speedo redo the ODO at the same time I had him recalibrate my fuel gauge. 2x1. Otherwise I'd have played with the gears as Mike indicated above, it's not all that hard but I was in for a penny, in for a pound. Very happy to have to all working again. Now the focus in on my fugly cracked dash.