• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74, Needs everything! but getting there... : )

hwy61

I'm grateful for all the info I've mined from this forum! What a resource...IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.9c38c1e0722be3c87f675ae801828e61.JPGThanks all! Just made my first drive today with a '74 that hadn't run in 17 years...most systems up and running, interior and paint in the offing... : )

IMG_1372.JPG

• Like 9

Good to hear of another '02 saved from the ignominy and oblivion of long term barn/garage residency.  Just hope you're not planning on driving it in the snow if the local folks use salt on the roads...

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

What's the plan?

If your 74 is anything like my 75 was ten years ago, just about every "system" needed fixing or replacing. But it was a great 10 year project and finally got it on the road this past spring. My only regret was that it was off the road so long. I think if I did another long term project I would try to keep it roadworthy (not a DD of course) enough to enjoy it, while I replaced/fixed all of the bits.

Hundreds of awesome blogs on long term restorations on this site, but I used this one all of the time... 

http://www.my2002tii.com/

Have fun and good luck and please post a dozen pix of inside, outside, motor, etc....

Randy

PS - Where are you. Looks almost Southwest/Texas'y, except for the snow?

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

LOve the color of the car and good luck with the build.  Looks like you have a pretty solid car.

The thing about these cars is they are funky and they are not making them anymore...but we can get all the mechanical components...BUT we will never get this body again.

As Worzilla said, "almost everything you'll probably need is on this site".  It has been a great source of information for me.

Take care and enjoy!

Light is seriously underrated.

To echo what others have said:  get it in sound mechanical condition so you can drive it--regardless of appearance--while you plan and begin to execute the cosmetics.  If you pull it all apart for a restoration and make it quickly undriveable before you really start to enjoy driving an '02, you'll lose interest and it'll become someone else's bargain.  

I did a remarkable amount of body work on my '69 while still a daily driver--sometimes with no bumpers, even with no front fenders (I used some motorcycle turn signals bolted to the body).  It didn't go off the road until I had done everything I felt capable of doing, and sent it off to the body shop for the more intricate welding and final painting.  

So get it running (and stopping!) reliably, then start thinking about cosmetics.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

[emoji106]

Yep, that’s definitely the car that was being sold in Santa Fe, NM with no title, no keys, and the ignition switch torn apart, and not so good past history, had me thinking the car might have been stolen at some point in time so I stayed away.... hopefully you were able to acquire a clean title for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! Has clean title, has keys, but the ignition is a mess...along with lots of wiring. Not sure what you are saying about its past history, but it had been neglected. Things getting sorted daily though. Possibly the same car you are thinking about.

Ha! Has clean title, has keys, but the ignition is a mess...along with lots of wiring. Not sure what you are saying about its past history, but it had been neglected. Things getting sorted daily though. Possibly the same car you are thinking about.

Definitely had been neglected but the way the person selling the car acquired it just seemed weird since they didn’t have a title, did you buy the car with a title? Or did you file for lost title? Maybe you bought it from someone else and not the first person selling it in Santa Fe? I 100% know that the car in your pics above is the same car I’m talking about, just wondering what happened to it after it first went for sale back in July of this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, EuroTech said:

"Definitely had been neglected but the way the person selling the car acquired it just seemed weird since they didn’t have a title, did you buy the car with a title? Or did you file for lost title? Maybe you bought it from someone else and not the first person selling it in Santa Fe? I 100% know that the car in your pics above is the same car I’m talking about, just wondering what happened to it after it first went for sale back in July of this year"

Yup, bought with a title from a great guy...happy to be getting it back on the road... : )

Edited by hwy61