• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To rebuild now or later

AJ2002

Update and some advice needed.  

I got the exhaust sorted out and added a blue Bosch coil.  I attempted to replace the dizzy cap and rotor.  The cap did not fit.  Hmmm more on that in a bit.

Nonetheless, got the car out for spirited driving hanging with a z3 roadster.  Running well.

Had the bright idea to clean the engine bay after the car cooled.  Covered the dizzy and carb.  Cleaned with degreaser and power washer.  THE CAR HAS NOT STARTED SINCE - about a day ago.  

I have tried everything.  Blowing out dizzy and cap, plugs, etc with air.  WD 40 in and on the cap.  Removed and dried plugs, etc. 

Tested the coil.  Got spark.  Tested plugs.  Getting little to no spark to the plugs using my plug tester.  Any thoughts?  Could I have killed the dizzy?  Thinking about getting the 123 distributor early and starting from there.

About that replacement dizzy cap the would not fit.  I don't think the original dizzy is in the car.  The stamped number is 0 231 151 008.  Did some research on the site.  I think that dizzy is a tii.  Not sure how to order the correct cap.  Suppose I could call IE or bavauto and give the number.  Any insight is appreciated.

Best,

Look for a dislodged connection at your coil wiring. If you have the fandangoed ballast resistor ignition, you may not be getting the full battery voltage when cranking. 

Did you remove any ballast resistor when you installed your Blue coil?

Oh and I find that there seems to have been about 10 different types of distributor fitted over the years before you take POs changing things up into account. What I do is take the distributor number and go to a supplier that knows what these cars are about and will take the time to work with you (ie Blunt). He will identify all of the correct parts against the number. 

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

The 008 dizzy is bombproof, you won't kill it unless you beat it with a hammer or do 300kmiles. The cap is common for many cars of the era... VWs an Mercs use same cap.

Most likely damp ignition is the non start reason...try blowing out the deep holes where the spark plugs sit...quite easy to trap water down there.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Yep, I removed the resistor wire and ran a 12 volt line directly to the blue Bosch.  I will post a pic of the blue Bosch.  I think the coil is working.  I can make it spark by applying power from the battery directly to the + side.  When I remove the power, the coil sparks.  Also getting 3+ Ohms on continuity. I have been in the dizzy many times.  I blew out the spark plugs holes a few times.  The car has a xr700 electronic ignitor.  Kinda checked it.  Those things are usually sealed. 

This has me stumped!  If the car gods give me spark, I promise never to power wash that engine bay ever again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will go back and check all these parts again.  Maybe I will get lucky and something will dry out all by itself.  

Here is a pic of my blue Bosch.  I noticed that if I ohm test the secondary and primary coils I get a reading of ~3.2 ohms on the secondary and 7.8k ohms on the primary.  Isn't the primary reading a little low?  Hope my Blue Bosch is legit.

Still having problems getting the car started.  I reinstalled my old coil with the resistor wire.  That coil reads 1.6 & 10.5K, respectively.  More in line with what I have read.  Car will only start - running very roughly - at WOT.  So some flooding problems.  But that could be caused by actually flooding the car or weak spark.  I removed the plugs and opened the dizzy overnight to let them dry out if needed.  Will take another run at starting today.  What a PITA! 

BTW, I also found the proper distributor cap for the dizzy.  My local O'Reilly had pics of the dizzy caps over the years.  My old cap matches a 1974.  My car is a '76.

Over and out.  Thanks for all the responses and the virtual "2002 psychologist couch"!        

Blue Bosch.jpg

Hey ray, 

I have Bosch plugs but not Platinums.  

BTW, I finally got the car to crank and idle a little.  But I am experiencing another problem.  The car will idle for a while but I can not rev the engine.  If I attempt to rev the engine,  sometimes it will rev a little but most times it will not respond and attempt to die.  When it's idling ok, it will not run/idle for more than 10-15 minutes before starting to stumble and die.  Sometimes I can re-crank it right away.  Other times it will take many crank before it lives again.

The guy at the part store suggested that it's a fuel delivery (fuel pump) problem and I am starting to believe him.  I have a glass fuel filter and I have noticed that the fuel is draining back to the tank.  Also today, suddenly it was idling really high (1500+ rpm) and would not settle out until it died.  I heard surges are a symptom of a failing mechanical fuel pump.  BTW, I have the fuel pump connected directly to the carb.  What are the chances through all my engine washing complications that the fuel pump is on shaky legs?  

Any similar experiences?  One other fuel related question.  See the pic of my gas tank.  Which line is the pick up line?  Hopefully the one with the clamp?  And shouldn't they both have clamps?  

Additionally, I believe the power washing killed the alternator.  I fully charged the battery and kept checking the voltage while the car was idling.  The voltage started at 13+, but only went in one direction....down.  And this was during a moment it was idling high.  

When it rains....it pours!   

20190104_181543.jpg

The unclamped line is the pickup. You're sucking air from there. There are threads about it and there should be a nylon/tygon/something sleeve under that fuel line at the pickup.

GL,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Wow, no clamp on the pick up line.  How does that even happen?!  Learning more about this car everyday. 

I guess while I am at it I will open the tank and check the filter, for any blocks in the lines, and for any sediment at the bottom of the tank.

Best,  

13 hours ago, ray_ said:

The unclamped line is the pickup. You're sucking air from there. There are threads about it and there should be a nylon/tygon/something sleeve under that fuel line at the pickup.

The fit of new 7mm fuel line over the proper sleeve is pretty snug connection...

Curious: @Conserv Anyone have photos / documentation of whether there was a clamp at that location, from the factory?

6 minutes ago, tahoedon said:

I am quite certain that there were no clamps anywhere on the fuel line.

+1 on that.  The lines were all the cloth covered type.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.