• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

winter tires and chains recommendations

joebarthlow

Am I the only one who enjoys having fun in the snow? I grew up in NY and now I'm in GA. When it snows here I'm very excited! I don't plan to take the o2 In the snow... The rwd pick up truck satisfies my snow sliding itch.
I wouldn't be all that upset if I slide off the road in the truck but I don't want to put the 02 In a ditch.
Although it would be a bummer to have to put the car away for a northern winter [emoji53].

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

Am I the only one who enjoys having fun in the snow? I grew up in NY and now I'm in GA. When it snows here I'm very excited! I don't plan to take the o2 In the snow... The rwd pick up truck satisfies my snow sliding itch.
I wouldn't be all that upset if I slide off the road in the truck but I don't want to put the 02 In a ditch.
Although it would be a bummer to have to put the car away for a northern winter emoji53.png.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I grew up in eastern Washington when snow was on the ground most of the winter. Once I made it to the Willamette Valley in western Oregon, I grew to like warmer, dryer climate pretty easily. My main issue with driving in the snow are not my skills, rather the inexperienced California drivers (from year-round warm climates) who move into Oregon with very little ability to drive in the snow.

Last winter we only had a 1/2 day of snow. I was able to exercise the 02 on dry country roads weekly. two years ago, though, we had a 25-year storm with snow on the ground for a couple weeks, plus a nasty 10 day ice storm. 

Edited by joebarthlow
  • Like 1

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

12 minutes ago, markmac said:

Sorry to say "JOE" there are shit drivers everywhere (including OREGON).  Best of luck to you this winter...drive safe. Seems like you have enough info here to figure it out unless your a dummy.

you are correct, shit drivers are everywhere. I appreciate the tire recommendations. thanks

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

I've lived in Tahoe, Fairbanks Alaska, 5 years in Breckendridge and 20 in northern Colorado.  A limited slip is really helpful, studs all the way around if it's icy, regular snow tires if it's not.  Out here in Colorado, studs aren't necessary.  The Nokians are great, the Bridgestone Blizzak is great, Conti has a Winterkontakt tire that's nice.  The nicer snow tires have a softer compound until they're almost dead then it becomes a regular compound tire.  And definitely some weight in the back-  Have fun!

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

2 hours ago, irdave said:

...The Nokians are great, the Bridgestone Blizzak is great...

+1 on the Blizzaks!

They are fabulous, too, and my second choice where Nokian doesn’t make the right size or style of tire, e.g., my AWD Sienna needs a run-flat tire and Nokian does not manufacture a run-flat version in the correct size.

These top-notch modern snow tires are game changers. The difference between these dedicated top-of-the-line snow tires and an all-season tire is as dramatic — in snow — as the difference between rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.

As to Joe.....

Joe, do you really need snow tires for a 1/2 day of snow annually? ?

OK. They do look cool on an ‘02! ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, tzei said:

14" E30 rims & studded Nokia Hakka tires + lsd + about 30 kg's at the back = ?

Not fair: I’ve heard that Finns are issued Hakkapeliitta’s at birth.... ?

(So, of course, Finland has produced many of the great winter rally drivers!)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I used to put 4 Vredestein winter tires on and 6 boxes of computer paper in the trunk.  Never got stuck.  I know Verdestein still makes a 13" snow tire.

• Like 1

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

Joe I am in agreement with the others. 

Your driving skills in the snow may be unmatched. 

It is the other Bozo's that are the danger. (see 72PDX02 above) I wouldn't risk a fender bender taking my 02 out even at the slightest risk of snow and especially ice. The good and the bad with Oregon being hesitant to use salt, (but now relenting on some stretches of I5) is that sand really doesn't do much of anything for the roads, but you don't have to worry about rust (as much)..

Studs are best for traction in the snow, but can be a pain in the butt to stop once the snow/ice is gone and the roads are wet. (which is par for the course in the Willamette Valley)

PS: Lived 5 years in Omaha Nebraska. The roads were extremely well kept and mostly clean and dry in all types of weather. Given that, there were still people (even locals) that couldn't drive in inclement weather. I did learn the lesson that black ice is pretty unforgiving no matter what tires, chains, studs etc. you have on your vehicle. (No accidents, but came close). 

PPS: You are in Les Schwab tire territory. What do they recommend? Plus Schwab has (or used to have) the policy is that you get a full refund on your chains if you buy from them and don't use them.  Which is a good gamble to take where we live. (Return by April first). 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

+1 on don't drive your 02 in the winter with ice/snow on the roads. As others have said, it's the other drivers you have to worry about. If you want to drive an old BMW in the winter. Find a 85-88 E30 or 82-88 E28 eta car. They are cheap, big diving board bumpers to help protect you, they get great gas mileage, and are fun to drive (with a 5 speed).  I just bought a set of Sumitomo Ice Edge 175/70-14 tires from Amazon for $51 each for my 91 E30.   That size is recommend in the E30 owners manual for snow tires. Glad I didn't turn in my bottlecaps to the scrap metal yard, now the snow tires will go on them. Since 13" snow tires have gone the way of the dinosaur in the US market, the alternative is to put bottlecaps on your 02 and put 175/70-14 on the bottlecaps and you won't have any speedo error from stock 02 size (165/80-13).  http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner