• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I hope I don't wear out my welcome-Now no power to starter!

Roverguy

One step forward, 2 back.

Planned on taking the car for an inspection today and I could not get it to keep running.  Defiantly a fuel issue cause if I kept the revs up it would run. 

It was so bad that I had to restart it about 15 time and tried to keep it going to no avail.

The last time it shut down I noticed the fuel and temp gauge went dead.

Now I have no power to either gauge, or the starter motor.

I have 12v on the hot side of the starter from the battery.

Battery is at 12.5 volts; used start mode with my charger, still nothing.

So here is the weird thing, I have the heavy 12v from battery and the 2 neg.

But there is not red/black to the small tab on the relay!

I don't see a loose wire hanging.

My pos. on the coil has a solid red running to my Allison Electronic ignition and a second wire running to the ballast resistor.

When the key is turned to start I get the "L" light lite.

When it is in run the "B" & "L"

I even ran a jumper from the + coil terminal to the starter, no deal.

Of potential note I had just replaced my Ignition rotor, but don't see any wires I may have disturbed.

I am thinking I potentially have a bad ignition switch from all the attempts at starting?

You guys have been great with your assistance; it has been greatly appreciated.

Edited by Roverguy

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

I would check earths first..or use your number cable from battery neg to the body of the starter.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I Usually go through all grounds and connectors whenever I get a new/old vehicle, not this one yet, except  the battery cables and chassis ground next to the battery.

Can someone confirm if there is supposed to be a + from the coil to the starter per the wiring diagram?

20180804_194049.jpg

20180804_201148.jpg

Edited by Roverguy

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

What year is your 02. 74's have a ignition interlock with the seat belts that will not allow the starter to engage even if the seat belt system has been bypassed.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Search 74 seat belt interlock there are several threads with pictures it's pretty easy to do the bypass just switching some wires around.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Temporarily Jump +12v to the small starter terminal and it should crank.  If it doesn't then the starter solenoid is bad or maybe there is a bad ground to the starter.  If it cranks then you have to back track to the ignition switch wiring.  Also, although I don't know much about the Allison ignition, I don't think you need that ceramic resistor in the circuit with your coil?

71 2002

06 330i

45 minutes ago, DRedman said:

I don't know much about the Allison ignition, I don't think you need that ceramic resistor in the circuit with your coil?

Not only the ceramic resistor the clear wire resistor looks to also be present.

• Like 1

George S Patton 

• 2 weeks later...