• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Austin Healey 235/5 dogleg

Pouya

I am going to attempt to covert a dogleg getrag 235/5 from Austin Healey to be used on a 2002.

All I know from looking at the gearbox is that the casings, output shaft, input shaft and shifter mechanism are all different.

I will be back with pictures later. 

Edited by Pouya

There was one on ebay a week or two ago that 'looked' pretty good and was described the same.  It had a BIN of less than $1000 and i thought about it.  I already (nearly) have the parts to two and can't make one, all I need is parts for three ....and then still not be able to make one.  I think you are right about the castings (Bell Housing for sure), I would guess that the extension section and the back section/cap are the same?  Have heard the same as well about folks converting these over, I don't know of anyone that has done it...or whether folks took the gears out of these and then put them in the housings of CR boxes they already had?

11 minutes ago, markmac said:

There was one on ebay a week or two ago that 'looked' pretty good and was described the same.  It had a BIN of less than $1000 and i thought about it.  I already (nearly) have the parts to two and can't make one, all I need is parts for three ....and then still not be able to make one.  I think you are right about the castings (Bell Housing for sure), I would guess that the extension section and the back section/cap are the same?  Have heard the same as well about folks converting these over, I don't know of anyone that has done it...or whether folks took the gears out of these and then put them in the housings of CR boxes they already had?

Yep, I bought the one on ebay. I figured its worth the shot since I won't be able to afford a 2002 235/5.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-Healey-Lotus-Getrag-265-Close-ratio-5-Spd-w-Bellhousing-Shifter-/142483362311?oid=323350207560

Jensen Healy.  My guess is that Byron (Preyupy) very likely knows more.  Suffice to say for sure input/output, bell housing and shift tower are going to be no bueno for an o2.  I won't speculate further, as I am pretty sure he has seen this before (and there may be others) that know as well.  The biggest problem I have found with mine are the dog ring/teeth.  I have had one set REM super finished - gears had some pitting but dog rings/teeth are serviceable, another set the gears are excellent....in some cases the dog rings/teeth are straight up gone.  You really just don't know what you have until you crack these things open.  Hopefully what you bought isn't junk

Jensen Healey's used this transmission as an option.

Humph. So, really then, for us it's just an internal parts replacement source.

I thought a 235/5 was a 235/5.

Did anyone finally get parts from England?

And are there any recommendations as to knowledgeable and trusted re-builders  in the U.S., preferably within driving distance of  the S.F. Bay area?

The kicker is that the ebay transmission is a 265 not a 235/5, so where does that leave us?

Hi,

I went with Rick Haner as the rebuilder for my 235/5. This was now 10 years ago however and I am not sure if he is still rebuilding them. He was north of the city.

Hope this helps!

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

1 hour ago, Einspritz said:

Humph. So, really then, for us it's just an internal parts replacement source.

I thought a 235/5 was a 235/5.

Did anyone finally get parts from England?

And are there any recommendations as to knowledgeable and trusted re-builders  in the U.S., preferably within driving distance of  the S.F. Bay area?

The kicker is that the ebay transmission is a 265 not a 235/5, so where does that leave us?

I think the other transmission on eBay is actually 235/5 even though its advertised as 265. It has the same part number as the one I bought. I could be wrong about this.

12 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

The last time I saw Rick was at his place near Santa Rosa(?). I thought he got out of the business, well, decades ago.

Thanks, I still need to collect all the parts for a refresh first....

I might need Rick's help with this. How can I get a hold of him?