• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying cut wires

rewilfert

My '76 has a non original engine that was installed by a previous owner.  It was also stripped of any emissions related equipment.  There are several disconnected plugs and cut wires under the hood that I'm trying to identify locations for.

First up is a pair of brown wires that have been cut. They are bundled with 2 other wires that go to a sensor located in the brake distribution manifold next to the master cylinder. Any idea what these may have originally connected to?

I have yet to find a wiring diagram that matches the car which is making identifying these wires and connectors difficult.

43641088851_b687279707_c.jpgUntitled by rewilfert, on Flickr

1976 2002 primer/rust - SOLD

34 minutes ago, Buckeye said:

I am thinking those wires go to Brake Pressure Switch,

That is what is a little confusing.  The OP's pic shows the pressure switch against the inner fender to the left of the MC and there are two wires running to it.  The color of those wires appears to "Grime."  They are in the same sheath as the two brown wires so it seemed likely to me that the brown wires were part of the level sensor's mechanism.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Dunno if this helps, but invariably brown (OEM) wires on a 2002 are ground wires.  And the 76s were the only year that had that "brake pressure bias switch" near the master cylinder.  

One of those brown wires may go to the pressure switch, and the other to the ground side of the brake fluid reservoir float switch.  Remember that on a '76, that red brake light on the dash has three purposes:  low brake fluid, e-brake on or uneven pressure between the two brake systems.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 minutes ago, mike said:

Remember that on a '76, that red brake light on the dash has three purposes:  low brake fluid, e-brake on or uneven pressure between the two brake systems.

Excellent point.  You might check to see if the brake fluid/e-brake/pressure light works for at least the fluid level and the e-brake.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

9 hours ago, Rozz said:

My '76 has two spade terminals on the brake pressure switch, the brown wires both go to the other side.

brake pressure switch.jpg

Thank you!  That is what I was thinking after I found another picture showing the 2 brown wires with a female spade connector attached.  I looked tonight and noticed the switch has 2 male terminals on it and 1 isn't connected to anything.

I haven't been able to put electrical power on the car since I bought it (wiring is a bit of a hacked up mess).  I also noticed that the parking brake switch was disconnected.  Maybe the dash light was stuck on and the previous owner just started disconnecting everything in an attempt to extinguish it.

1976 2002 primer/rust - SOLD

4 hours ago, rewilfert said:

Maybe the dash light was stuck on because the brakes had failed and the previous owner just started disconnecting everything in an attempt to extinguish it.

Fixed that for you. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Most '76 cars have that entire brake Bias distribution block removed and the brake lines plumbed directly to the master cylinder. If you redo the brakes, just plumb directly to the master.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.