• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soon to be BMW owner

Roverguy

Hello all.

Left a deposit on the 74 2002 I have been talking to the group about.

Went up Saturday and ran it through it's paces.

They put it on the lift, and they were right, there is essentially no rust.

Car has on older repaint from when it was in Cali. Nice 10'.  This will be a driver, so I'm good with that.

They also had a bunch of service invoices from 10-15 years ago, including a bottom end, and valve job about 20k ago.

Estimated mileage on chassis is 130k, as speedo not working.

I'll have to paste the records together, but with old cars, it is what it is.

Car has Bilsteins, a header and Ansa.

New calipers and hoses.

Has an Allison elect ignition

Reupholstered Recaros, very nice interior. But the horse hair in the rear seat is gone, to the point of the springs show under the vinyl.

Car drove decent; it's been sitting for a few months, so the gas seems a little stale. A fresh top up, filter and someTechtron will hopefully clear that up.

Has a Weber 32/36, but it stumbles a little on the transition between the primary and secondary. Adjustment; or see above?.

Comp was 150-152 across the board and radiator held 12 psi for 15 minutes, so motor seems healthy.

Noisy throw out bearing, I hope..

Minor vibration in wheel at 40.

Has new tie rod ends and some new bushings.

Hopefully by end of week I'll have the paperwork in place to pick up and drive it the 90 miles home.

FYI, did not pay near ask, so I have some coin to sort the issues.

Looking forward to the new adventure and becoming an active member.

More questions and pics to follow.

• Like 4

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

1 hour ago, Roverguy said:

Has a Weber 32/36, but it stumbles a little on the transition between the primary and secondary. Adjustment; or see above?.

Check accelerator pump for proper operation--second bbl doesn't open until the primary is nearly all the way open (unless the carb has a SyncLink) so a dribbly or inop accelerator pump may be the culprit.  Make sure the pump nozzle sprays right into the carb throat, not just dribbles down the side.

1 hour ago, Roverguy said:

Noisy throw out bearing, I hope..

Noise with clutch pedal in = throwout bearing; noise with pedal out = tranny input shaft support bearing in the crankshaft.

Welcome to the fraternity/sorority.  Always good to see yet another '02 pass into good hands.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Is the bearing in the flywheel, like most cars that have a bronze bushing?

Supposedly they did some bearing in the trans, but I don't have the slip

I assume it's not a huge job?

May have to let it go for this summer till winter put away.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

21 minutes ago, Roverguy said:

Is the bearing in the flywheel, like most cars that have a bronze bushing?

Like Mike said it is actually in the end of the crankshaft.  And it is an easy job as long as you don't mind removing the transmission before beginning the job!

Getting the bearing out can present problems but there are numerous threads addressing that very issue.

Congrats and welcome!

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

The noise you hear when in neutral is probably not the throw out bearing, it's an internal transmission bearing (input shaft bearing?). These can make noise for DECADES and never cause failure. Welcome to the club and enjoy the hell out of it!!! You can improve the transition from idle to main circuit with some jetting experimentation, though progressive carbs are what they are, and sometimes sag a tad as the secondary throttle plates open. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Glad the car met with your approval. Hope to see you around.

Welcome to the Nor'East '02ers. If you own one, you are in.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmw2002us/

Join us at Larz Anderson on August 12th for BMW CCA Day.

https://larzanderson.org/lawnevents/bmwccaday/

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

OK, so now the fun begins.

Who is the best supplier for parts?

I have been using Pelican for my 911 and although they list '02 parts seems somewhat limited.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

Just now, Roverguy said:

OK, so now the fun begins.

Who is the best supplier for parts?

I have been using Pelican for my 911 and although they list '02 parts seems somewhat limited.

Stephen Peterson & Dealin' Dave at Blunttech. sales@blunttech.com

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40