• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weber sidedraft maintenance

Guest michael schliske

Guest michael schliske

I've got a '72'02 with a 292 cam and a pair of 45 DCOE's that came on the car when I got it 8 years ago. It runs strong and gets 29 mpg if I baby it along on the highway (which I rarely do). It runs a little rough sometimes, at transition especially, then the next trip it will smooth out. Sometimes going around a sharp curve seems to make it sputter a little for ten seconds or so, then smooth out. It seems there might be some junk floating around in there. I've run carb cleaner through the system several times. Are there some effective ways to clean varnish or whatever out without taking the carbs out of the car? I would rather not go through a complete rebuild if I can put it off a little longer. Thanks for any tips! 

I’ve had similar issues when the float/fuel level is too high, or low.  Hard acceleration or sharp turns slosh the fuel around, and it either doesn’t go in or it spills over into the barrel and makes it hesitate.  There’s a procedure for removing a main jet and measuring the actual fuel level with a little stick, which will tell you if this is the problem.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

You can also just take the tops off and dump the varnish out.

Or wipe it out with rags, etc etc.  

DON'T use the shop vac for this!!!!

the word "rebuild" gets tossed around freely, but realistically, there

are many levels of disassembly, and most of them are pretty easy.

And don't take any seals, unless maybe the top gasket sticks to the cover.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Sometimes dirt, or on one occasion a fruit fly, get caught in the transition Jets. Take the carb tops off, take the Jets at one at a time and blow them out with carb cleaner if the transition is running uneven. This almost always correct the 45 Weber carburetors on my TISA. It is good to carry a Swiss Army knife and A can of carb cleaner with you.

Best regards, Peter

DSCN1359.JPG

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

P. S.  when I say carb tops I mean the little round cover with the wingnut on it, remember to put the wingnut on tightly, I often safety wire mine.

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Tech tip, when tuning and jetting carbs on a 02 the drivers side rubber cowl drain is a great place to store your screwdriver;) looks very racy and is handy to boot.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

...and I advocate removing the whole top.  6 screws, and everything's open.

You can easily look at your float levels that way, 

too

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL