• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New wiring Harness

LimeySteve

Hi does anyone make a new wiring harness for a round tail , mine is toast !!

Or has anyone a good used harness for sale 

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Is your car a Tii?

I have one of the OE BMW front harnesses for a ('74) Tii that I bought two years ago; I  have not used it as I want to add many circuits and decided to make my own full harness using the cloth original equipment tape; I bought all the connectors and wire along with the proper tools to do the job.

This was supposed to come with the alternator harness, but did not. I will make one for you so it will be as it should have been. It is basically the starter / headlights / engine compartment wiring. This one came wrapped in vinyl tape, not cloth.

PN: 61-11-1-356-875

Though you probably won't like the cost. Real OEM: $1076.00 / NLA; BMW List: $880.80 / NLA; My cost was  $660.00 or thereabouts. Pm me if you are interested.

Note too, that the "harness" is not just the front and rear; there are many small harnesses e.g. the heater fan, Tii fuel pump etc. that are in addition. Also there are different harnesses for early and late carbureted cars.

Alternatively, you might contact Double 02 salvage in Hayward CA, as I recall they may have  used harnesses, but those too will be 40 years old too.

HTH

• Like 1

No Mines a Ti I have a bunch of deletes as mine's a track /road car race alternator , no disi ignition etc I will probably end up wiring it like a Hot Rod but use the original switches.I have a roll of BMW cloth tape so will wrap it accordingly .But if a stock dash harness is out there I'll buy that for sure . I have twin headlights , fog lights & may delete the heater , we'll see.

Thanks for the info , much appreciated.

Steve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I haven't taken mine apart to get to those "small harnesses" yet in order to reproduce them, but they should be easy once you have them.

In all it seems like you need some "custom" work for your purposes.

My only suggestion is that sometimes it is best that you make sure that the wires are warm when you wrap them so you can bend / route them easily.

Let me know if you need any help.

Best.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Harness is labeled, color coded and I think the Germans measure amps the same way we do.  What might the differences be? I am willing to be persuaded...

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

On 3/4/2018 at 10:35 AM, Blackwhiteandblue said:

Einspritz- what was your source for the proper plugs and connectors? Also, what did you do for wiring? 

I am seriously considering rewiring my 71 02 for everything I want/don't want.

Thanks

Me too.  Einspritz, would you care to share. It's ok if you don't :)

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

Went thru these wiring endeavors few month ago on my carbureted 1972. Ended up installing a 14 circuit kit from KwikWire and buying a bunch of connectors and wiring sleeves from McMaster Carr. In regards to plugs, I only reused the cluster and column switched plugs, all other were replaced with with modern industry standard plugs from the source mentioned above. 

I rewired my ‘68 a while ago using a Painless harness. The only trouble I had was that the heater fan didn’t work. Of course as with all 02 projects, it is still a work in progress. ?

I drew up a (nearly) complete set of wiring diagrams and will try to get that and a parts list posted this weekend. Also, because it is a ‘68, it is much simpler than the later models and you will have to work out the missing circuits. It will at least give you a place to start if you are interested in going that route. 

• Like 1

Did we already talk about DTM (not the race car series) wiring connectors?  Available from many sources- they seem to be an industry standard type of thing...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

• 7 months later...

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Harry, I purchased the  kit form the vendor in Wisconsin but have not gotten that far as another car project took me away from the 2002 this summer. The kit that I did get looks to be very well made and a huge upgrade from the ancient spaghetti I inherited when I bought the car. If you need any pics or have questions you can ask and I will attempt to answer.

Jay

• Like 1

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!