• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proud new owner

theluketaylor

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

As to the non- restart, put a voltmeter on it.  Braille batteries are SILLY

expensive, and you actually do the car handling a favor by putting 20-40 lbs of lead in the trunk, so if it's not so good, maybe a trunk- mount battery would go well.

The battery for sure needs a test, but I think it's pretty good because after some consistency driving it started much better.  I think it was a little down from the car not being used as consistently.

I do like the tiny size of the battery and having the full trunk available.  Unless it's really dead I think I'll keep it as is.

10 hours ago, ray_ said:

dang was being pretty mild, I think :)

The shock towers as viewed in the trunk pic do merit a closer look in my opinion. The car does present well otherwise, from the pics. 

What are the 3 lights on the seat belt beacon at the center of the dash?

Cheers,

i didn't find anything anyone said to be outrageous...

i was simply trying to stop the mob attack on a new car...FAQ has become a hill of fire ants, attacking every car that crosses the path

Glad to see you are having fun. Enjoy it and drive it like you stole it.

Yes, do take a closer look at the shock towers. You will regret it if you defer any repair.

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

1 hour ago, esty said:

i didn't find anything anyone said to be outrageous...

i was simply trying to stop the mob attack on a new car...FAQ has become a hill of fire ants, attacking every car that crosses the path

We're a kinder, gentler FAQ now.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

15 hours ago, esty said:

i don't know everything but i don't know how oil from the engine could be getting in the trans...have fun, stay safe

I'm guessing the OP is wondering if oil might be leaking out the rear main seal and into the transmission bell housing....

Another observation (though unlikely to see that much oil disappear) is that your engine breather hose (running from the rear of the rocker cover) is vented directly to atmosphere. You *could* be seeing a lot of crankcase blow-by and oil pushed out of the hose to fall clear. 

You might want to reroute that into the air filter housing or a catch can (or both). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

3 hours ago, esty said:

FAQ has become a hill of fire ants, attacking every car that crosses the path

Allow me...

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

We're a kinder, gentler FAQ now.

Speak for yourself ray_!

Needs more yellow.  

The tape on the voltage regulator should be yellow, not black.  

The oil dipstick should be yellow, not orange.

The brake fluid should be yellow, not blue.

Apparently the PO put window washer fluid in the brake reservoir!!

IMG_4839.JPG

Okay, lame attempt at humor.  Ate Super Blue brake fluid.  Pushing that out with yellow will insure that you've removed all of the old stuff.  I have never done that, but think it is a neat idea.

If you replace the blue cloth covered hose that runs to the clutch master, be careful pushing the new one onto the reservoir.  It is a snug fit and it is easy to kink the bottle... like I did.

Photos of cars are fun to comb.  That is a clever way to mark the plug wires, using zip ties.

I'd probably move that fuel filter closer to the firewall, with a shorter length of hose before it and a longer one after.  That would reduce the risk of chafing and also keep it off of the warm manifold.

Congratulations on your purchase.  Let the fun begin!

Tom

Just throwing out a guess here but driving for hours at 4000rpm might show excessive oil consumption but normal driving around town might not be much of a problem.  Not that it should burn that much oil, but you were at more of an extreme condition so maybe it will be okay..

15 hours ago, esty said:

let's not start pissing on his car...he sounds enthusiastic about it...we don't need to judge his purchase...he's already done that and seems to have a huge smile on his face

very few things in life are perfect and should not be routinely criticized

There's always a couple different ways to look at this kind of thread.  Yes, he's excited to have a new purchase and we're all happy that he chose a 2002 and is here sharing.  He shared so much info with his first post that I assumed he was looking for some feedback or opinions.  I could've just said "great ride, have fun with it!" and be on my way, then if he happens to find some issues with the underside of the car later I could say, "Yeah, I saw signs but didn't want to say anything".  I see some concerns because the shock towers were repaired and the spare tire well has been replaced (welds showing) so I spoke up.  40+ year old car, blah blah blah...  Still a good car and hopefully he wont' have any major issues with it.  No reason to think otherwise.

alternative facts?

well, yes, with a grinder and welder, everything becomes negotiable, I suppose.

As to constructive suggestions on maintaining and improving the car,

up, this WAS the kinder and gentler FAQ.  Best not to give the OP the false sense

that this is a fanboi site.  It's a car forum.

As to oil consumption, that  kink in the breather hose might be contributing to the

issue.  As odd as it may sound, the breather is a tuned system, and if it's tuned

one way, (2' of 5/8" pipe plumbed into  quart container with a 1/2" breather hole)

oil goes back into the engine.  Tune it other ways, and suddenly oil comes out.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

well, yes, with a grinder and welder, everything becomes negotiable, I suppose.

As to constructive suggestions on maintaining and improving the car,

up, this WAS the kinder and gentler FAQ.  Best not to give the OP the false sense

that this is a Facebook site.  It's a car forum.

As to oil consumption, that  kink in the breather hose might be contributing to the

issue.  As odd as it may sound, the breather is a tuned system, and if it's tuned

one way, (2' of 5/8" pipe plumbed into  quart container with a 1/2" breather hole)

oil goes back into the engine.  Tune it other ways, and suddenly oil comes out.

t

Fixed that for you!

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.