• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I need to replace from races?

kine8282

Hi all I'm doing a front end suspension rehab and had a question on the bearing races. I bought some new bearings and was going to take out the races that are installed but after checking them they look good without any deformations or pits. Can I just leave them on there an install the new bearings?

If i should remove them, I noticed that there were 2 notches on the tops of the hub, is that where I seat my drift to punch out the old race?

Don't mix and match old / new bearing races. The new bearings will wear quickly as they try and match wear on the old outer races. Drive out the old outer races using a punch as you have noted and replace the lot. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

There are recesses in the hub shoulder where the race is seated against for use in driving out the race.  Tap a little bit on each side and work your way around the race.  If you try to drive from only one place on the race, it gets cocked and jams.  Use same technique with driving the new race and make sure it is fully seated.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

While technically the race is not a wear part I always replace them anyway as installed in the bearing well it's pretty hard to inspect them to the degree needed and the replacements are cheap enough. Take you old races from one side and grind the O/D down a smidge then turn them over to drive the new races in.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all. Yes I made a bigger meal out of something I did in 20 mins for both. I found the recess/gap that jimk referred to once I got all of the old grease out. I also put the new race (just the race not the bearings) in the freezer over night not sure if that helped but the install was easy peasy. 

I'll add my mechanical engineering $.02 to this: the bearing race is the part of the bearing assembly that wears first due to fatigue, i.e., it will fail eventually due to number of cycles, which is proportional to mileage. Good lubrication extends the life cycle, but miles will catch up eventually. Replacing the races resets the counter. Old races may look "new", but they're well down the life cycle curve and should always be replaced with the whole bearing.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now